Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new stereo and amp into my 71 chevelle. The problem is, when the engine is running at low rpms, the stereo will turn off and then back on. It will keep doing this until I rev the engine. It also turns on and off when the key is turned to ACC. I don't think the stereo was getting enough power and initially thought the battery or alternator was the problem but both have been replace with high power models. I assume theres a problem with the stock power cable? Any help?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd measure the large lead off the back of the alternator to a good ground. Should have around 14.5 volts at idle.
Then measure the power wire to the stereo while the car is idling and the stereo is on. Should have at least 13 volts.
Check to see if there is power on the ACC terminal on the fuseblock when the key is in the ACC position. If you don't have it, it could be: A blown fuse.
Dirty fuse clips.
Bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check grounds. I had a problem with my Chevelle. It was opposite. When I would drive or rev it it would cut out. TUrns out just had a loose ground wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts