Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first there was a light whistling coming through my speakers, then 3 minutes later i smelled burning, now my stero does not work. Before hand my "GEN" light was coming on here and there every trip. Ive barely even begun to diagnose what happened.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm going say that it's a problem with the stereo. Even if the alternator went high, which it's not doing, the stereo is protected inside. Sounds like two unrelated things.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
try checking both the fuse on the fuseblock, and if it is a later model stereo, maybe try checking the fuse on te battery lead on the stereo's wiring harness. make sure that your speakers are not getting crossed up too. Check all grounds and your power inputs(Bat lead, 12v switched,ect)

------------------
1968 Chevelle malibu w/ 327 bored .030 over, TH350 w/ shift kit
MyChevelle
12 bolt w/ 3.73's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the funny thing is which sucks im not running any amps or subs, just a 3 months old Aiwa deck. I had them throw in the speakers with the old wiring and at times with people in my back seat the speakers wouldnt work..... obviously it sounds like the wires have gone to crap. Would that short out my actual Stereo though? I had a 69' blazer which i re-wired front to back.... Wiring is so tedious.... makes me want to die! ha... Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no fuses are burned out..... I just checked. Unless the fuse in the deck, Decks have those little colored plastic load fuses dont they. Hmmmmm possibly that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello! Well call off the dogs.... Pulled the fuse in the actual stereo, I was all concentrated on the fuse block itself, problem solved
Thanks.....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hope your head unit's still working OK-if it blew a fuse, you could have some problems :(

If it does work OK, my advise would be to fix those wires so you don't have to deal with this again

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Another thing to check. You DO have two conductors going to each speaker? Some early GM's only had a single (+) lead from the radio back, and used chassis gnd. for the (-). This'll play H E dbl. Hockey Sticks with a high power head unit.

Before I upgraded the Alt in my '64, I had a guy ask me "How did you get your headlights to dim with the Bass Notes like that... It's COOL"

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would check/run new speaker wires. It sound as if a wire got pinched running to the rear ( since people sitting in the back affected it ). If the + and - wires touch, it can cause a problem such as yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts