Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 72 chevelle and I'm trying to change the steering wheel. I took the center nut off but the wheel won't budge. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I just got a 72 chevelle and I'm trying to change the steering wheel. I took the center nut off but the wheel won't budge. Any advice?
You need a "Steering Wheel Puller".If I remeber correctly the are available at Sears,and even some hardware stores.Or you can make your own. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The puller is the correct way but I have found a way to get them off with out a puller. You get your knees under the bottom and pull on the top of the wheel while somebody hits the loosened nut with a hammer. They usually pop loose. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Run down to the nearest auto parts store, they all have steering wheel pullers pretty cheap.
:yes:

I got mine from Shucks for $14.99. It came with a variety of different bolt styles (lengths and threads) for different steering wheels.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
MOST steering wheel pullers come as a combination harmonic balancer and steering wheel puller with an assortment of bolts to fit most applications. Virtually all auto parts stores/tool stores carry them. This is an extremely common tool.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A puller is the way to go, do not hit the nut with a hammer. You'll risk screwing up the threads on the shaft and may find yourself looking for another steering column and maybe a steering wheel as well after you crack the plastic by pulling on it.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.