Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a three prong stainless cushion steering wheel sight unseen and when it arrived I could tell the black on the cushion was paint and it was a red or rust color underneath. I stripped off the black paint with lacquer thinner last night and I have a nice steering wheel that is a rust/red lead paint color. It is identical to a black three prong stainless cushion wheel I have even down to the markings on the underside of the cushion when the material was poured during the manufacturing. It appears to be a genuine GM wheel. I would call it a wood grain color but there is no wood grain effect. Did GM make a red cushion wheel as an option as well as the black ones? Does this sound like a earlier year than a 70 or perhaps a Corvette wheel? Welcome any comments on what I have and is anybody interested in having it?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Chevrolet had those, along with Olds, Pontiac, and mostly Buick, that's where I find most of them.They are all the same, except for the horn button.The last one I sold was off a Buick, and red.It brought $100.I'm interested if your selling.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Those wheels started off in the '63 Corvette and were the same colour as the interior. From '64 - '69 they were woodgrained plastic, and a genuine teak version was available in Corvettes only. The Chevelle used the non-cushioned 3-spoke from '67 - '69, as did Olds & Buick as an option. The cushioned version showed up for '70 (last use in Chevelles) and was offered on some Buicks through about '78 I believe. It was colour matched to the interior.
Corvettes used a smaller diameter wheel than the others from '69 on.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought this might be a wood grain given the background color but there are no grain marks imbedded in the plastic for realism. This may be a red wheel that over time turned to a rust red. Doug I am interested in selling. Contact me at [email protected].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.