Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what the proper rotation of a manual gear box is for 64 el camino chevelle. A acquantance is rebuilding one,and he took his manual gear off had it rebuilt. Now when the steering wheel turns to the left the wheels goes to the right. I know this has to do with either the placement of the gear on the frame or with the rotation of the gear. Everything that i have found so far says that he has the correct gear in the car.

I would really like some help, pleeaase. A schematic of the front end would help immensly. I can't look at the car personnally and i don't if i am getting the whole story from this guy. thanks for any help that can be provided

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Sounds like your buddy is going to have to develop a new and unique driving style. Ought to be exciting!

That said, I agree with pmullaly I thing he has the pitman arm on 180 deg out.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
just how- exactly- does one get the steering linkage all hooked up if the pitman arm is on backwards?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Originally posted by novaderrik:
just how- exactly- does one get the steering linkage all hooked up if the pitman arm is on backwards?
you would also have to have the idler arm 180 out, but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It is possible to switch parts between Saginaw manual or between Saginaw power gears that come from completely different (unrelated) vehicles. Because of steering geometry, a very few models had to have the lead on the wormshaft (input shaft) and the corresponding lead on the ball nut in the opposite direction. If the ratio between the two unrelated gears was the same the parts will assemble. The ball nut and worm have to go together. But if you swap the unrelated parts your car will turn left when you steer to the right.

Don't ask me exactly what gears had the opposite lead, all I know is that there weren't very many.

One case that I do remember, Saginaw Steering made gears for the old Ford Econoline Van back in the 70s. It had that rare opposite lead worm and ball nut. Every once in a great while Saginaw would build a Ford gear with a GM input shaft and ball nut. Surprise!!!! The Ford Assembly Plant wasn't very happy (particularly the guy that had to first drive the Van off the assembly line).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy is still having the problem. If JIML82 could tell me the proper rotation of a manual gear box (or for that manner anybody)we could all find out what is going on with this vehicle. The more i talk to the gentleman with the car the more I feel like he really doesn't need to be working on a vehicle.
---------------------------------------
To check rotation to turn the input shaft (coupler) clockwise, if the sector shaft turns clockwise it is standard rotation. If it turns counter clockwise it is reverse rotation.
-------------------------------------------
as far as swapping parts. It is true that one can sometimes swap parts between manuals or between power gears, but what usually prevents this is the master splines and flats on both the input and sector shaft.

again thanks for any help that is given

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Most Saginaw recirculating ball steering gears have what is called a right hand lead worm shaft inside the gear. C/K and GMT 800 pickups, suburbans, S/T pickups, B-cars, G-cars, A-cars, F-cars, all had RH lead worms. When you rotate the input shaft clockwise, looking down at the gear side cover, the pitman shaft will rotate clockwise.

G-vans (Beauville, Express), M/L-vans (Astro, Safari) have left hand lead worm shafts. When you rotate the input shaft clockwise, looking down at the gear side cover, the pitman shaft will rotate counterclockwise.

I am positive that the 1964 through 1974 A-cars were RH lead gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts