Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was driving my 69 el camino the other day, my steering wheel fell off and since then I've been frantically trying to fix it. Apparently, the last owner installed a Grant Signature Series racing wheel with a Billet adapter onto the steering wheel column, and forgot to put something called a 'safety clip' back onto the nut securing the wheel to the column. The safety clip was mentioned in the Grant installation instructions, but I couldn't find it in any of my shop manuals for the el camino. If anyone could tell me the part number of the safety clip, or send me a picture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Having your steering wheel fall off while driving is not a good thing. While I don't have a pic or a part number you could go to a junk yard to get one. A lot of cars and trucks all the way up to the 90s used the same clip and im sure a junkyard would sell you one cheap. This little clip keeps the nut from backing all the way out and goes on the eng of the steering wheel shaft.

------------------
Undee's70SS

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think that the clip you are refering to is GM part number 419454. It lists for $0.92. However, I think that it was first used on all GM cars starting in 1975. A special groove was machined on the end of the steering shaft just past the steering wheel nut location for that clip. Your 1969 column won't have the groove.

If the steering wheel nut is properly torqued, you should never really need the clip. It was introduced by GM as a "belt and suspenders" type of redundant design so that there was a visual clip in place that would prevent the steering wheel nut from backing off even if it was not torqued at the assembly plant.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I believe the earlier years had a "pinch" nut on the shaft. They usually never came loose. That is a rare thing.

[This message has been edited by charbilly2001 (edited 12-27-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.