Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing the stock steering wheel with this one on my '67 Chevelle:
https://www.opgi.com/interior-accessories/steering-wheels-accessories/retro-leather-steering-wheel-kits-with-slots/steering-wheel-kit-1967-68-chevrolet-retro-wslots-red-bowtie-pol-hi-rise-ch31043.html
The diameter is slightly smaller which I like. My question is about the "dish". This new one is 4 1/8". How does this compare with the stock wheel, since I'm not sure how far back from the rim to measure the dish on the stock wheel. Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I sent a repop wheel to Dallas steering wheel. It is wrapped with a layer of rubber then leather.
Expensive... I think it looks much better than aftermarket wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm considering replacing the stock steering wheel with this one on my '67 Chevelle:

https://www.opgi.com/interior-acces...ro-wslots-red-bowtie-pol-hi-rise-ch31043.html

The diameter is slightly smaller which I like. My question is about the "dish". This new one is 4 1/8". How does this compare with the stock wheel, since I'm not sure how far back from the rim to measure the dish on the stock wheel. Thanks for any and all advice.
The wheel in your link looks like slightly nicer version than one of those cheap aftermarket wheels they would sell in autozone for $49.99. IF OPGI is selling something aftermarket for $309, you know you can find the same product somewhere else for a fraction of the price.

This is what I used in my '67 pro-touring car. You'll need a column adapter to fit your year/model, but I was really happy with the looks & feel of it. Very high quality.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OC1S6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I sent a repop wheel to Dallas steering wheel. It is wrapped with a layer of rubber then leather.
Expensive... I think it looks much better than aftermarket wheels.
Dallas steering wheel has one of the worst website ever. It’s almost like they don’t want any business.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
An example of a steering wheel companies website that actually WANTS your business:

www.con2r.com

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An example of a steering wheel companies website that actually WANTS your business:

www.con2r.com
Original poster here ... I tried building a leather covered steering wheel on that site similiar to the one I posted from OPGI. The one from con2r.com was over $600 !

Now, back to my original question...
My question is about the "dish". This new one is 4 1/8". How does this compare with the stock wheel, since I'm not sure how far back from the rim to measure the dish on the stock wheel.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
4 1/8 deep dish is pretty deep for a steering wheel. I believe a stock 67 wheel is something less than 3”.
I have a comfort grip steering wheel from a 69-72 and the dish is less then 2.5” (hard to get exact since it’s mounted).
You measure dish from the mounting surface of the wheel hub to the center line of the grip ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts