Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 4-spoke style steering wheel (70s rally type wheel, Camaro & Chevelle) that I would like to use on my ElCo. It was fine when I got it but after sitting in my garage for a year, its getting that sticky goo stuff seemingly coming out of the plastic. Anybody know if there is a way to get the stuff off and keep it off? I tried to clean it with lacquer thinner and it seemed to help but not quite.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
try using castrol super clean (caution will oxidize aluminum)used it on a similar type wheel used alot of elbow grease turned ooout ok also you might try SEM vinyl and plastic cleaner

------------------
PhilMullaly Member562 72camino TPI proj

·
Registered
934 Posts
Greg,

I have been waiting a long time to hear someone mention this! I have 2 black ones hanging in my garage that are sticky as HELL! The one actually drips brown goo.

My question is: What is this stuff???

I too notice that it only returns if you clean it.

I see many of these wheels at car shows and they look and "feel" ok.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
The stock wheel off my 77 Caprice was like that too. I think it's the plasticizer leeching out of the vinyl. I know that the auto companies had trouble keeping the plasticizer in the vinyl trim in 60s and 70s cars -- once it leeches out, the trim gets brittle and hard. Just a thought-

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
And here all these years I thought it was just where all that armorall had gotten hot and sticky! Mine has the same problem, those 4 spoke ones are bad about it.

Here's another thing we have in common Bob!

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 05-09-2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts