Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While crawling around looking through old parts in my shop I ran across an old GM comfort grip steering wheel. It could be out of a first gen Camaro, a C3 Corvette or Chevelle...I’ve had all at one time or another. Anyway, it was covered with an old school black vinyl “rally wrap.” When I peeled that off I found the steering wheel grip is badly stained and sticky. Before I start throwing cleaners at it I thought I’d check here and see if anyone has any secret remedies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
799 Posts
Wow, good luck with that. AFAIK, the sticky will leech back to the surface no matter what cleaning method is used. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear. I have a friend with an olds wheel with the same problem, nothing really worked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, good luck with that. AFAIK, the sticky will leech back to the surface no matter what cleaning method is used. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear. I have a friend with an olds wheel with the same problem, nothing really worked.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. The “steering wheel guy” at the Long Beach swap meet told me the same thing yesterday, but I was hoping he was just trying to sell me one of his (OEM NOS $350).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Put a very nice black Wheelskin leather cover over it. Take careful diameter and circumference measurements and use the size guide from the company. You do the lacing, it's easy.

And it'll look like factory when you are done. No more sticky steering wheel. Should be less than 50 bucks.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
While crawling around looking through old parts in my shop I ran across an old GM comfort grip steering wheel. It could be out of a first gen Camaro, a C3 Corvette or Chevelle...I’ve had all at one time or another. Anyway, it was covered with an old school black vinyl “rally wrap.” When I peeled that off I found the steering wheel grip is badly stained and sticky. Before I start throwing cleaners at it I thought I’d check here and see if anyone has any secret remedies.

I'd try a tiny bit of xylene in a spot on the back side and see how it affects the plastic. if you get any kind of black smear from the plastic stop (obviously)

Xylene is a solvent used for adhesives- it may work... Might also try laquer thinner and acetone. They all react differently to different kind of plastic.
Again small test areas on the back side only until you know how the plastic will react.

If memory serves, The "comfort grip" isn't really soft its a hard plastic isn't it?
That would make it different problem than the olds wheels that were a soft rubber... but I don't know for sure, may be wrong.

IF it is a soft plastic/rubber, you may have to go with a leather cover as mentioned by another user above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd try a tiny bit of xylene in a spot on the back side and see how it affects the plastic. if you get any kind of black smear from the plastic stop (obviously)

Xylene is a solvent used for adhesives- it may work... Might also try laquer thinner and acetone. They all react differently to different kind of plastic.

Again small test areas on the back side only until you know how the plastic will react.

If memory serves, The "comfort grip" isn't really soft its a hard plastic isn't it?

That would make it different problem than the olds wheels that were a soft rubber... but I don't know for sure, may be wrong.

IF it is a soft plastic/rubber, you may have to go with a leather cover as mentioned by another user above.

Yep, the grip part is hard rubber. I have both xylene and acetone, so I’ll try that. The actual grip is red and the black staining is from the vinyl wrap. If the red color comes off I’ll stop and then just wrap it. I had seen red versions of this wheel described as “rare” so I thought I’d try to preserve it if possible.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I'd go at it with Dawn dish wash soap and water several times before trying anything else.

Reactions: RAMBO

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
From my experience, I would have to say that that wheel at on time was sprayed black. When the black started flaking off someone decided it was time to cover it with a wrap. To remove the black spray you can wash it in a tub with Dawn dish soap and a red Scotch Brite pad. If you scrub around on it a white you should be able to get almost all of it off. Once it is as clean as you think you can get it, then thoroughly wipe it down with a Wax Grease and Silicone Cleaner, such as Pre Kleno or Smart Brand. I Prefer the Smart brand. Now the stickiness should be pretty much gone. Now with constant use of the wheel, your hands will absorb any stickiness that seems to seep out. You could now re wrap the wheel, or use it as is or if you think you have it VERY clean re spray it with SEM Landau Black 15013. I really do not recommend spraying rubber wheels. They eventually will most likely need to be done again. That is a Red wheel, which means that it came from a Buick.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
When I rebuild a center console I soak the plastic in simple green.

It slowly takes the paint out of the plastic.

I removed all the paint off a rear light on a center console . It was actually sprayed upside down and the rectangle was at the opposite spot. When it was done soaking, it was white.

Tape, respray.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts