Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the shaft. I,ve got the steering box disconnected and the clamp at the top,but it won,t come out. Also is the lower shaft the only part that comes out. It,s a 67 Chevelle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had same problem thought it was like my old Ford Bronco were it came apart at the end of the column, but it doesn't
Youn have to take it apart at the rag joint and pull the whole thing out, not to bad I think if you don't have headers

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

·
Registered
231 Posts
On my 66 Malibu, the shaft is just one continuous shaft from the flange that attaches to the rag joint all the way through the column to the threaded end where the steering wheel attaches. Naturally, you have to take the steering wheel off to remove the shaft, but then the shaft will slide out of the column from the other end. I don't know if there's clearance to pull the shaft out if the column is still in the car. I replaced my steering shaft recently because the threads were stripped. I had the column off the car to do this. Also, the shaft is supported by bearings at both ends of the column, but nothing in between.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a related question. Has anyone replaced the solid shafts found on the early Chevelles with a later model "collapsible" style? This seems like a good modification for driver safety.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.