Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I need to do to get the feel of a newer car in terms of steering. All the new F bodies I've driven have a stiff feel to the steering wheel when turning. Would a new steering box be in order? If so where could I find one that would give me those results.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A worn GM-A body is not a gonna compare to an not-worn-out F-body when it comes to stuff like that. 30 year old car compared to 10 year old car?

But, assuming you have 30-year old bushings, why not try to rebuild the front end with poly, toss on a larger front sway, add a 7/8's rear sway.

This is a huge difference in both feel and response. Parts are under ~$400,

As to your question, you can have your steering box rebuilt to stock or tighter specs, or use a newer GM box, but you'd mix metric & standard fittings. There are companies that specialize in refurb steering boxes for your Chevelle.
------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
659 Posts
You can get a quick ratio high effort steering box from a 3rd gen f-body or a 80's monte carlo. As DG said, you will need a special conversion rag joint and metric to SAE pressure hose fitting. these are supposed to be pretty cheap (around 50$ total) and a used box is pretty cheap. It will probably be cheaper than having your box professionally rebuilt and converted to new specs.

Here is a link to some guys who rebuild and convert old boxes to new specs. They seem like they do a quality job. You can probably find a cheaper rebuild if you look around, but probably not as good.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/SteeringGear.html

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DG just to let you know I've already upgraded my suspension as much as possible without making an major changes. Completely new front suspension with hotchkis goodies and polygraphite bushings along with an 1" 1/4 sway bar. In the back I have done the same with an 1" sway bar and hotchkis' upper and lower boxed control arms with the brackets that connect the upper and lower as well. Along with this I used hotchkis' springs which lower the car about 1 1/2 inches. The only the I have left to do really is larger wheels and tires. Currently 15x7's all the way around with 235-45-15's I think. So believe it or not I do know what I'm talking about when I say I need a new steering box.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sorry, I did say, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>assuming you have 30-year old bushings...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your question was a "what can I do," instead of "here's what I have done and I may need a new steering box".

Suspension rebuilds are always a starting point in handeling.

I myself have a tall-spindle disc setup on replacement part-store ball joints & assorted half-a$$ed front end stuff.

Hotchkis tubular arms are too much $$ to complete the swap, and I walked into an original disc setup for 1/2 the cost. So this winter I'll rebuild and install.

Post some pics of your swaps and let us know how the ride compares.

------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well can definitely say the suspension has made an unbelieveable difference. With the front suspension the beefier sway bar made a night and day difference and i'd have to say was the easiest and most effective swap. As far as the rear suspension I could feel my rear tightened up with the new sway bar and control arms but what was most noticeable was the elimination of wheel hop. The lowered springs help a bit too but weren't as noticeable as I had hoped. So now like I've been saying I just need the steering box to keep up with my new suspension

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.