Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove my first chevelle and the steering seemed really easy. It has power steering and it seems like it is too easy to turn the wheel. Maybe I'm just used to my car where you actually have to try a little to turn the wheel. Is there a problem with the power steering or is it just supposed to be this loose?

------------------
Ryan

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Ryan, driving one of our old beasts is quite different than newer cars. Even with a brand new suspension, bushings, etc-the old cars had a very "disconnected" feel to the steering wheel, partially due to the recirculating ball power steering system. Modern rack & pinion is SO much more responsive. That's one of the joys of driving an older car-you actually have to DRIVE them.

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not to worry...that's the first thing I thought to myself when I drove my 71 velle. Takes some getting used to after driving around in a late model car. You only need to go straight to make your point, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with all of the above but If you are buying the car I would seriously check out the front end. We bought a 70 last spring and the steering was sloppy. We wound up replacing coil springs, shocks, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, idler arm and center drag link. Car was actually unsafe to drive. If the front end is shot you can use it as a bargining chip to get the price down.
The car handles so much better now but is still not like todays cars. Still contemplating putting in a 1-3/8" Hotchkis tubular anti sway bar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seller said that he just replaced the font and rear suspension parts so I dont think that should be the problem. So thats just the way they steer?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The older cars have a mushy feel to them. The steering ratios are higher, requiring more turns of the steering wheel to go from stop to stop. This makes them less responsive, but it takes less effort to turn the wheel, which was the desired result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.