Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a steering gear from a low mileage 1986 cutlass 442 to replace the stock gear on my 70 ss.

Will I need to replace the "rag" coupler or will mine fit this gear?

I know theere are only 3 bolt holes as opposed to the original 4 when mounting the box, but what other changes will I be in for?

Any of you out there done this?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You will have to change the pitman arm most likely, to the one off your old box.Also you will have to get adaptors to put the existing lines in the later box, metric Vs. standard threads.I hope you didn't pay the same price I was quoted for a mid '80's box, a couple of years ago, they were going for $175, when I can get the late ' 70's Z boxes for @$75.Not sure about the rag joints, but when I change one over, I always put a new one on, w/new bolts.Just being safe, piece of mind is a good thing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You will have to have the fittings on the steering gear modified. Not only are they metric, but they are also an o-ring seal. The rag-joint coupler will need to be modified to fit. Also you will want to replace the pressure valve in your pump to a high pressure one. I can't remember all of the part numbers right now, so ask me later.

·
Registered
246 Posts
More specifically you will require a rag joint that clamps to the newer smaller input shaft. Lee Manufacturing in Sun Valley, CA has them for $55. Can you tell I just did this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. After seeing how much conversion was involved, I decided against getting the part.

I think i'll go with a year one rebuild which they have on order for me that should come wit ha rag coupling and bolt right up.

It's supposed to be rebuilt internally using late model IROC specs.

Anyone bought one of these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.