Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making progress with my '66 Chevelle project car and want to continue picking up needed parts. Next up, steering. I already have all new tie rod and other components, but still need the steering gear box. The one that came on the car is puking oil and would at least need to be rebuilt. I've been looking at the Borgeson 12:1 box and need to know if it's a good choice? Or would it be better to try to find a Jeep box for it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
If my box didnt work perfectly and I was thinking about replacing it Id do the Jeep Grand Cherokee box

· Registered
215 Posts
Is your existing manual or power steering? Call Hector from Carhex, you can buy a ready rebuilt and upgraded box or send him yours and have him rebuild it with quick ratio internals, I had him rebuild my existing box, very responsive compared to stock ratio. Either way it’s a direct bolt in, not sure if the Jeep box requires metric fittings or adapters.

· Registered
4,210 Posts
Lee 800 Sagnaw Series. I have the 14:1 with a 30 pound torsion bar. This is very important. It gives you feeling in the steering wheel. This is what most people are looking for but think they need obseen amounts of Caster.
I use the Grant 13" black with three holes.
Lee will set you up with a box that starts out brand new then they take it apart and really go over it well.Dont cheap out on the steering box. I think I paid $600 for mine which was so well worth it.

Power Steering Gearboxes From Lee Power Steering

· Registered
1,394 Posts
I used a mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee box on my 67 Impala, which I'm pretty sure uses a similar box as the chevelle. I got my box from Rock Auto, I's been a couple years, but I think I paid $110.00 shipped and thats including the core charge. It was a direct bolt in and I did have to buy adapter fittings to reuse my existing hoses. The swap made a huge difference in handling. Now I've also heard a lot of good things about Hector's boxes, so there's that avenue as well.

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I have a Lee box in my ‘86 Monte SS that I bought from Mark at SC&C a few years ago and it works great.
The fasteners are even safety wired.
Guy

· Registered
4,210 Posts
I hope you ordered it with a 25 or 30 pound torsion bar..Anything under this will give you an over assisted feeling we all have grown to hate over the years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts