Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is where I should post this but I will anyhow. Blast away if I am wrong. Anyhow, I found a complete steering column (rebuilt) with wheel for a 69 Camaro (non SS). It is in very nice shape, less some scratches. The guy wants $350 for it and says this is a steal. Is this true? It is a tilt column and seems to work just fine.

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
Seems a little high priced to me. Is it the column with or without the key? The steering wheel is the same on tilt or non-tilt. I have been purchasing the locking type columns from Phoenix area salvage yards for $150 including shipping. Bought 3 of them in the last year. Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say key, are you referring to ignition key? It has the ignition keyswitch with no key - that has to be replaced. As far as whether or not it is a locking type steering column I don't know. I can check. I talked with another friend who checked into a newly rebuilt column and also said $350 is reasonable. He also said a new one for his SS was around $600. Have no idea where he got that quote from though. I know I bought a Pontiac tilt column for a 68 about 2 years ago for my son and it was in excellent condition (with a few rebuilt parts), but only paid $75.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think $350 is way too much to pay for a used tilt column for a '69 camaro! I just bought a tilt column for my '70 chevelle for $20, although it was a steal! I wouldn't pay more than $250 if it has the wheel and ignition key. Also, the ignition switch on the tilt may actuate differently than the switch on your nontilt, so make sure you look into that. I pulled my tilt out of a '71 chevelle and the switch actuated in the opposite direction than the one on my nontilt, and it also had different wiring connectors, so I had to cut them off of the harness of the car I pulled it from and then spliced it into my harness. I haven't had experiences with camaro's though.

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
lil302, yes, the key in the column are the locking type, i didn't know when they started them in Camaro's. Other models may fit, you need to measure from the firewall plate to the dash mount. Any GM column with that length will work. There are minor internal differences such as the lock cyl. If you can try and find out what year you are buying. From 69 to the mid 80's when they added wipers and dimmer controls they all look the same. When I converted a 74 GMC 4x4 I used a tilt from a 69 Impala wagon and it bolted right in, the wire harness plug worked but I had to turn it over to get it to go in. This may not be the case in all vehicles I may have just been lucky. As Hugh said the switch actuates reverse of non-tilt, but again alot of years will interchange. I used one from a 78 Regal with a tilt to get my 70 Chevelle, also a tilt, back on the road on a Sunday when all the stores were closed. Let us know how it goes. Philip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.