Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I noticed that both my 70 SS and his 71 SS, both of which originally came with floor shifted TH400's, have the column shift bracket. Let me try to explain this:
Where the column shift lever normally is, we have a collar with nowhere to mount a lever. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact that both of us have an arm that protudes from the bottom of the column, down by where the headers are (we noticed because mine hits my headers). In a column-shifted car, this arm would connect to the transmission. Did all Chevelles have this, regardless of transmission?

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Havoc, That arm is there to provide an interlock from the trans to the column so when the column is locked, so is the trans shifter. The linkage is missing between them. Does the lever on the side of the trans have an unused hole? GM started locking the columns in 68 or 69.

·
Registered
567 Posts
also,some Chevys(floor shifter cars) have their neutral safety switch and reverse light switch at the base of the column. The interconnect rod actuates them as well as locking the shifter in park.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$#&*^#W&^#!!!!!

I took out all of the linkage and stuff because I thought it was wrong! I didn't notice any problems, because my neutral safety switch and backup lamp switch are in the floor shifter. Good thing I saved all of the pieces. Thanks guys!

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: drive.to/chevelle
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
I suppose all 4sp cars are alike in this area. The 72 BB 4sp wagon I special ordered had a rod and linkage between the reverse lever on the Muncie and this lever you mention on the steering column. I promptly removed the SOB the next day after delivery because I could not remove the key unless the car was in reverse. I just kept the collar on the column in the "park" position all the time. Also, I installed an off/on pushbutton switch under the dash for the backup lights. As everyone here has read at least 7 or 9 times about my old wagon, ALL of these parts are now on my son's 71 SS clone. But anyway, that's what the lever is for. I guess if your car has an auto it's OK, but if you have a 4sp car, it becomes a pain in the rear. And speaking of pains in the rear, did anyone watch the FOX channel last night and see the guy get gored by the bull?

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.