Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switch out my 3 spd steering column for my 4spd SS column. I go to plug in the long set of wires attaching (not the starter or interlock wiring) to the column and the 3spd doesn't match the new 4spd column? What gives?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Sometimes if you have a new steering column or a new turn signal switch, the new switch connector will not snap onto the original wiring connector in your vehicle. It will be close but still will not snap correctly.

If you have this problem, take the connector from your original switch and swap it onto the wires of your new switch. Use the wire from a heavy paper clip and insert it into the "harmonica" connector from the contact side to disengage each wire and contact. There should be a small molded square channel in the connector that will guide you to a metal tang on the contact that holds it in place. Once you depress the tang and pop the wire and contact out of the connector, you should take a small knife blade and bend the tang back out so that it will engage the old connector correctly.

Make sure you install the wires in the correct order. The wiring order is the same for all harmonica connectors regardless of year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts