Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71 Chevelle.......TH400.......I originally had column shifter....installed B&M Megashifter- things worked great....tore car apart and am rebuilding it.... installing a B&M Quick Silver shifter and console......note in the instructions says: "Be sure stock linkage to steering column must be left intact or Neutral Safety switch, Reverse Light and column lock will not work."

I am no longer using the neutral safety switch on the column - shifter has them on the shifter....using the NSS/RS wires from console harness to connect to them....

How do I make sure the stock linkage is left intact?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Check to see if you have linkage from the steering column to the transmission. There is a tab on the end of the steering column that the linkage connects to. This is near the firewall on the engine compartment side.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
The stock linkage will be a rod from the lever at the base of the column to a cross shaft mounted between the frame and the transmission.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
71 Chevelle.......TH400.......I originally had column shifter....installed B&M Megashifter- things worked great....tore car apart and am rebuilding it.... installing a B&M Quick Silver shifter and console......note in the instructions says: "Be sure stock linkage to steering column must be left intact or Neutral Safety switch, Reverse Light and column lock will not work."

I am no longer using the neutral safety switch on the column - shifter has them on the shifter....using the NSS/RS wires from console harness to connect to them....

How do I make sure the stock linkage is left intact?

Thanks!
If you already are rerouting the NSS and backup light wiring, then the only issue would be the steering column lock... I eliminated the linkage completely... There have been a few times where the key would not "unlock" until I rotated the column by hand...

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great pics and info gents.. thanks.. yea, I don't think I have that linkage.....yes, I rerouted the NSS and RS.....my discovery so far is that the steering wheel doesn't seem to lock. first feels like it does, then slips out.... will do some more testing...

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Bob the shift collar needs to be in park to remove the key and lock the column, when converting to a floor shift there is nothing to hold it in that position. I have tack welded the arm on some that were converted to hold it in the park position. As far as the lock not catching, the steering wheel lock plate could be on backwards or the pin damaged keeping it from fully locking. It is a separate function from the shift lever, if the key goes to the lock position the problem would be under the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phillip - I think you nailed it..... the key goes in and comes out easily....and the key does go to the lock position.... I'll start researching the steering wheel lock plate! Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I did my 4 speed conversion on my '70 wagon, I ended up cutting the original column shift handle just above the pivot to allow me to use the pawl to keep the barrel on the column in the "Park" position. I then used the pivot pin hole as the mounting location for my tach. Looks sweet and fixes the steering wheel lock issue when you're key is removed!

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Phillip - I think you nailed it..... the key goes in and comes out easily....and the key does go to the lock position.... I'll start researching the steering wheel lock plate! Thanks
I was worried that the column might lock while driving down the road (but I was told it wouldn't have), so I actually removed the lock pin itselft... I may have removed the lock plate itself, but can't recall at this time (Might have left the plate to give wire c-clip something to rest against).

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Tony the plate is probably still there, it is needed to hold everything else in place. The column could only lock if the key is turned to the lock position. So when sneaking home late at night in the Chevelle and killing the engine a block away so the wife can't hear you do not turn it to lock just to off >:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts