Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

The Nova's manual steering box is shot. (I got it from a 64 Chevelle)
I assume the manual boxes were identical for years except for the pitman arm.

Are there kits to rebuild my own?
Are there replacements available?
Are these considered a model 525?

The adj. screw is disappearing into the lock nut. And when I adj. it, it's good for about one race......
When it goes back to sloppy, the big end get's rather exciting.

You guys are the experts....need some help here!

thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Ron,

I'm not sure of the complexity of a manual box, but I rebuilt a power
steering box once. Major PITA! For what you can be a remanufactured one
for, it was not worth it at all.

I wouldn't screw with it and just buy a new one...

Just my .02,
Jason

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ron, alot of the stockers i work with use the flaming river boxes, they're nice. it may also be the inner/outer tie rods, idler and pitman arms, so i'd plan on replacing them also.
They only happen to be 1-2lbs lighter then a standard box.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ron,
I use the flaming river on mine and it did indeed weigh less and provided a TON of extra room on that side. Might want to look into it.

Guess your gettings your ready for the season too!!!

Hope to get the trans build for mine this weekend and new converter ordered next weekend.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
did you weigh the two boxes?
Flamer river lists their box at 12lbs, i weighed my factory box at 13lbs.....lets say my scale is off, how much at the most? 3lbs?
I'd go with the F/R box if you dont mind spending the bucks, its brand new (no slop) and takes up alot less room.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ron, I hope you dont mind me stepping on your thread a little, i would like to ask the guys, how much room do you gain with the flaming river box?

I am changing to aluminum heads with .600 raised ports soon and it looks like the only header clearance issues will be around the steering box.
Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I'll check into the flaming river box.
I want a direct bolt in.

Brian, all the tie rod ends, center link and pitman arm were new when I built the car in 97. I doubt I have 10k miles on it since then. I pretty much just drive to and from the track.

As far as clearance goes, I have plenty of room around the headers. I use Hooker Comps.

Shawn, yep, finally getting moving on the trans rebuild. Got my new yokes for the trans and rearend. 1350 series of course. Along with the new u-joints. Trans parts from Bulk Parts as well (Kolene steels and the red clutch plates). I'm going to use the TransGo TH400 pro shift kit as well.
Bulk Parts seems to be a great outfit. I'm just one customer to them, but they emailed me to tell me where the parts were coming from because they didn't have everything on the shelf. Excellent prices too.
So thanks Garret for the tip!

BTW....when I built this car, I switched to manual so there would be more header clearance. And less weight than the pwr. box that was in there.

I see in Jegs, a bolt in rack and pinion setup that looks interesting as well. I'm sure it weighs less than the stock cast iron comanche setup, and at less than $500, not priced too bad either. But one never knows how well it fits etc, unless you have seen one someone else installed.

It was 60 and sunny here today....gets the drag racing juices flowing again!

Ron

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,
Flaming River is to proud of their stuff. $500 for a box?
Anyway, found another company Discount Steering that sells both new and rebuilt boxes, for my car, $215.
Who would have thought 15 years ago that manual steering boxes would sell for more than $20.....
Ron

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
did you weigh the two boxes?
Flamer river lists their box at 12lbs, i weighed my factory box at 13lbs.....lets say my scale is off, how much at the most? 3lbs?
I'd go with the F/R box if you dont mind spending the bucks, its brand new (no slop) and takes up alot less room.
I had a power steering box in place.

Ron, I hope you dont mind me stepping on your thread a little, i would like to ask the guys, how much room do you gain with the flaming river box?

I am changing to aluminum heads with .600 raised ports soon and it looks like the only header clearance issues will be around the steering box.
Anyone have pics?
I used a tall deck engine with AFR heads and raised exhaust ports, meaning room was the primary consideration. I could not get a header on the driver side till i installed the FR box. Now i can pull the 2" header out the top!!! It really freed up a lot of room. Eliminating the rag joint and tying it to the factory steering column was a pain in the a$$ but other than that very straight forward.

Yea they are expensive in my case it was get a 500 box and gain the room thereby using new Hooker headers given to me or pay 1500 for custom headers to fit a regular manual box. Pretty easy choice for me ;)

Hey on a recent Muscle car episode they installed one of those budget rack n pinion setups on i believe a Nova, Ron.

Got my trans build yesterday by the way. Converter next week then its on.

Shawn

·
Registered
761 Posts
ron before i would pay 500 for the flaming river box i believe i would look real close at a rack and pinion set up myself.about the s10 steering box ,was the pitman arm metric on them.if not that may be the best way to go unless you could find a vega box some were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.