Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
There is a company in Ca. that rebuilds and sells boxes for the chevelle. I bought a quick ratio man. box for my 67, dumb! It is a 22 to 1, drives like a truck at low speed. When I put the front end back together, it is coming off and a new power box goes on!

If I remember right, these thigs are not cheap.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your hard parts are OK, Chevrolet still has bushings, bearings, and seals available by special order through any dealership. If you need other parts or a rebuilt manual box, try Mullins Steering Gear (520)505-3032. (Just did this myself). CW

·
Registered
162 Posts
Let me ask this: What parts are typically worn out when you have a 35 year old box and the adjuster screw is turned in most all of the way? --- Carl

·
Registered
321 Posts
great topic!

my 70SS gets very squirrely at higher speeds or if the pavement is rutted. bushings for the suspension was upgraded so I know that it is not that. The steering box definitely has a lot of slop in it. What will the rebuild kit take care of? what symptoms? What typically wears out in these boxes?

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

W

·
0 Posts
I think there are but two parts that wear and cause all the grief. The sector shaft and worm gear, I think. I'm not expert on these, but when I replaced mine, most of the problems with the car not tracking went away. GM does still make lots of parts, you can also buy the power boxes completely rebuilt from lots of places. It's only the odd quick boxes and some of the other non power units that parts are hard to find.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 01-20-2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys, here's the dilema. I've got my new motor in, everything is hooked up and running. I'm about to have a coronary to drive the thing after waiting 3 years to rebuild this car.
I tore the manual box down last night. It turns out the gears are in OK shape. It had evidently got some water in it along with some crusty gear oil. The trash was getting between the gears and causing the box to hang up. I cleaned out and it seems to work OK. Now I've noticed the shaft on the manual box is smaller than the power box, so I need a new coupler. I called YEAR ONE and they have two couplers listed. One is for 67-69 and the other is 70-74. I'm not sure which one I need because I'm not sure what year of car the manual box came out of. They could not tell me the difference.
I've got a good power box, and I'm thinking of putting it back on for the time being, but I don't need the power assist with my 4" front runners. Also my pump is leaky and I don't want it on the new motor making a mess everywhere. What size and type of threads are on the power box. I know they are not standard pipe threads. I'm looking to just plug off the pressure ports for now so I can go do a little thrashing on my new motor. I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!!!

Thanks,

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.