Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've read many posts about the Jeep boxes and the late model Camaro/Monte Carlo swaps. Honestly, I'm not interested in hose adapters and the other mods to retrofit. I would like to buy a bolt-on replacement that will reuse my current hoses (new), pitman arm and rag joint. I would like a quicker ratio and tighter feel. I know Lees and others make awesome $500+ units, but that's out of my price range.

I've read of mixed results with some of these manufacturers, but I don't remember seeing the model#s cited. Anyone have experience with these specific units? None of these list any specifics on the T-bar rating. All of these are available on Rockauto, which I've had awesome results with for other parts in the past.

Cardone (#276509; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (reman)
Lares (#974; 10:1 2-1/2 turns) (reman)
BBB (#N5030104; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (new)

Thanks in advance. You guys are always awesome and helpful!

Shawn

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I am also interested in this discussion with my floaty 4.0 lock to lock 68 box. I also heard that steering turning degrees can be affected with different year boxes as well and the other details mentioned by Shawn. I agree $500 is too much$

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
JGC box has enough swing for a A body chassis. The Camaro and Monte SS do not. I know the JGC doesn't sound as glamorous as a Monte SS but it works, plain and simple. Also. I had a stock serpentine from a silverado in my 70 and the truck hose plugged in. I have a 6.0 in my 67 and that stock hose also bolts up.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Any advertised as 2-1/2 turns have stops in the box that will make your turning radius larger. For a Chevelle you'll need a pitman arm sweep of 88 degrees to keep your same turn radius. A 12.7:1 ratio of a JGC box will give 3.1 steering wheel turns lock to lock.

Actually other than the rag joint change the JGC box is a direct bolt in. The adapter are small tapered inserts that easily install into the fitting connections of the steering box. These allow you to reuse your stock hoses.

I don't believe you'll find a less expensive solution.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I think I paid $100 or something like that. Advance Auto. Used a 20% coupon. Gave them my old box for core. 3 turns lock to lock. I bought it probably 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Any advertised as 2-1/2 turns have stops in the box that will make your turning radius larger. For a Chevelle you'll need a pitman arm sweep of 88 degrees to keep your same turn radius. A 12.7:1 ratio of a JGC box will give 3.1 steering wheel turns lock to lock.

Actually other than the rag joint change the JGC box is a direct bolt in. The adapter are small tapered inserts that easily install into the fitting connections of the steering box. These allow you to reuse your stock hoses.

I don't believe you'll find a less expensive solution.
Will any later chevelle or camaro boxes work. I remember my 74 Z28 wasn't bad, think it was a 2.8 box. I remember my 70 Buick GS was much quicker then my 68 box and I think it was 3.2. I really don't want to change the rag joint or pitman if I can get decent feel without going to a metric box. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
Will any later chevelle or camaro boxes work. I remember my 74 Z28 wasn't bad, think it was a 2.8 box. I remember my 70 Buick GS was much quicker then my 68 box and I think it was 3.2. I really don't want to change the rag joint or pitman if I can get decent feel without going to a metric box. Thanks
Both the Camaro and Grand Nation boxes have internal stops that will limit the turning radius of the Chevelle body.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Both the Camaro and Grand Nation boxes have internal stops that will limit the turning radius of the Chevelle body.
Al,

Any later A body boxes worth a change to? This box is just so floaty with no road feel. I converted to power and spent some cash to get it to be stock and now its too stock:laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,928 Posts
I also have a Jeep G.C. box on my 70 driver. It has been wonderful for over 44.000 miles, Steers like a go/kart. After it sits a while in the winter. The first drive in the spring is interesting,,,,, GOTTA get back to the feel and the QUICK STEER of the Jeep Box. Would I do this again.......... Hell YEA !:thumbsup:
Bob

Reactions: ACES1

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
Al,

Any later A body boxes worth a change to? This box is just so floaty with no road feel. I converted to power and spent some cash to get it to be stock and now its too stock:laugh:
I wish I could remember all the combinations to get this done. I don't want to give incorrect info...This thread has all the info. Start at the backside and work to the front.https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16...34534-jeep-box-upgrade-pics-then-some-19.html

I wOULD get a JGC box. I know they work. You can get a power steering pump and the hoses of a 1981 Camaro and they will fit the box. No adapters needed. Or stay with your pump and get some hoses made to fit the JGC box and your current pump. There are numerous ways to skin this cat.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I’ve got the 27-6509 in my ‘72.

It works great. A little light on the steering. It’s perfectly acceptable and I’m happy with it.

But, because I can never leave things along, I’ve got some reduced flow and pressure fittings I’m going to try on it when I get a chance to see if I can make it a little heavier and see how that works.

More in this thread here:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/1074256-steering-box.html

Hi guys, I've read many posts about the Jeep boxes and the late model Camaro/Monte Carlo swaps. Honestly, I'm not interested in hose adapters and the other mods to retrofit. I would like to buy a bolt-on replacement that will reuse my current hoses (new), pitman arm and rag joint. I would like a quicker ratio and tighter feel. I know Lees and others make awesome $500+ units, but that's out of my price range.

I've read of mixed results with some of these manufacturers, but I don't remember seeing the model#s cited. Anyone have experience with these specific units? None of these list any specifics on the T-bar rating. All of these are available on Rockauto, which I've had awesome results with for other parts in the past.

Cardone (#276509; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (reman)
Lares (#974; 10:1 2-1/2 turns) (reman)
BBB (#N5030104; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (new)

Thanks in advance. You guys are always awesome and helpful!

Shawn

Reactions: Jeff65SS

·
Registered
165 Posts
Guy named Hector Carrillo on Facebook has awesome rebuilt quick ratio boxes that use all the factory lines. Put one in my 68, and it's great. Pricing is reasonable, $250 shipped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I wish I could remember all the combinations to get this done. I don't want to give incorrect info...This thread has all the info. Start at the backside and work to the front.https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16...34534-jeep-box-upgrade-pics-then-some-19.html

I wOULD get a JGC box. I know they work. You can get a power steering pump and the hoses of a 1981 Camaro and they will fit the box. No adapters needed. Or stay with your pump and get some hoses made to fit the JGC box and your current pump. There are numerous ways to skin this cat.
As always, you are very knowledgeable guy. Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I’ve been told simply reducing pressure and/or flow can make a huge difference in road feel with the stock “turn the wheel with a pinky” boxes.

I picked up this to give it a try first to reduce flow from 3gpm to 2gpm:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpfcv-k

Also picked this up to reduce pressure if just reducing flow doesn’t help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

If those don’t work, then I’ll take more drastic measures (like put in a higher t bar box.)

Al,

Reactions: Jeff65SS

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I’ve been told simply reducing pressure and/or flow can make a huge difference in road feel with the stock “turn the wheel with a pinky” boxes.

I picked up this to give it a try first to reduce flow from 3gpm to 2gpm:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpfcv-k

Also picked this up to reduce pressure if just reducing flow doesn’t help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

If those don’t work, then I’ll take more drastic measures (like put in a higher t bar box.)
Interesting Steve, any members out there try this? Thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

OK, so I was half-way through that 70 page sticky and walked away for dinner. Came back a couple hours later and my daughter had closed everything instead of just the pages she was browsing :pout:

I think I have enough notes to do this, I'm now sold on the Jeep box and the Camaro p-pump. I have one question, I was browsing Rockauto for parts and I see the high pressure hose for this p-pump, but nothing for the return. What am I missing? I'm hoping I can use the stock '68 p-pump bracket and not mess up pulley alignment?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Get a JGC return hose for any year 1993-98. Also try the Camaro return hose. This will guarantee that the fitting for the hose at the steering gear box end will fit. The other end of the return hose is simply slid over the pump return pipe and clamped - it is low pressure there.

However, I can't remember which of these might have hard metal tubing in the return hose - I'm thinkin' its the JGC hose. I don't think you want hard metal tubing. Get the other that is simply rubber hose after the steering box fitting all the way to the pump. The guy at the parts counter MIGHT be able to assist you here. Yea, I know, fat chance on that.

Rick

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The threaded fittings on the Saginaw boxes for the fluid lines were changed to Metric thread sometime in either the '79 or '80 model year. Do not believe the mount threads (ones that accept through frame bolts) changed. Have heard good reviews about the Hector C fast ratio conversions as well. He advertises on the V8buick site. Seems what he is doing is half the price of what the major rebuilders get - Lee, Lares, etc.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts