Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a serious problem. I bought a ATI procharger a couple weeks ago and have been spending the last week installing it on my 65. I have had one MAJOR setback. The power steering pump does not fit. I have tried Procharger's bracket but it doesn't work. I cannot out the steering pump in because it runs into the steering box. IT is too big. I wanted to know if anyone has a procharger, what did they do? I do no think a jaco pump will fit either. It is just tooo close to the steering box.

Does anyone make a rack and pinion kit that I can adapt or is made for my chevelle?

is there a way to mount the pump on the passenger side of the engine?

Is there a smaller power steering gear box?

My last resort is to go to a manual steering box. I have never had manual steering, is it a real pain for daily driving?

I am going to have a long talk with ATI tomorrow, because I am into this alot of money, and much of the stuff I cannot send back. I am getting very worried and stressed!

Please help,
Tim

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Tim, the new 468 going into my Bomber is destined to have a ProCharger D2R, but it will be a little while before that project even gets to the stage you are at.

I can't say for sure on the power steering pump fit, my measurements looked bleak, so I am installing a manual steering box. Yes, the manual steering is no fun at low or no speed turning. One of my friends has a BB '65 with manual steering, and the trick is not to start turning until the car is moving.

I thought that the remote resevior p/s pump might be small enough to fit on driver's side.

Let me make a suggestion if you want to retain the p/s: if you are not running an a/c unit, just install the p/s pump on the passenger side of the engine accessory drive. You would need to modify or make brackets to utilize the a/c bracket from ProCharger.

Steeroids, a company that already has rack and pinion kits for Camaro's and Nova's is currently developing a rack and pinion kit for the Chevelle.

Best of luck. Is yours a small block or a big block?

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a Small block.
It is not that the remote reservoir pump is small enough to fit, it is the pulley that is attatched to the pump. From the pictures in the instructions, it looks as though it would put the pump in a position for the pulley to hit the steering box.

I am going to look closer at mounting the pump on the other side of the engine. I cannot remrmber if allt he same holes are on both sides of the engine. If this is so, the power steering bracket I received from ati will work. It is just a bunch of plates, and they all can be reversed from the looks of it. I appreciate your help. I am just in so far on this project, I dont want to turn back, just because of a power steering pump.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you decide to use a manual steering box AND a 1969 box will fit the 65........ I have one with only 41,000 miles on it. I will "trade" it to you for a $150.00 Postal Money Order made out to the "Red Cross" and I will pay the shipping to you. I will send the Money Order to the Red Cross in N.Y., N.Y.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I had a ProCharger on a 72 Camaro with A/C and p.s. I did have to switch to the remote reservoir pump with their bracket (ATI's) and it cleared the box, but barely. Additionally, I ended up re-inforcing their bracket as it had no front-to-rear support and you could wiggle the pump 1/2" or more front to back.

I know it's not a Chevelle, but maybe they're similar.

Jody

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Oh yeah, if you go with a manual steering gearbox, be sure to get the pitman arm that goes with it, and you may also need a different size steering shaft coupler.

I have no clue if a '69 box will fit a '65, but I can gaurantee you that the pitman arm is differrent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am going to give the Jaco pump a try. ATI is overnighting the bracket and pulley to me and I should have the pump from napa today.

I will let you guys know how it goes, so someone can save themselves all the trouble I am going through. Very stressfull!

Tim

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Just a side note. Pick up a Streerodder magazine. They are tons of bracket suppliers that let you move all devices to all different kinds of locations.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an update, the Jaco pump is small, but the pulley is too big (6"), given the location of the bracket. So I will be designing a new one tonight, since it is what I do (Mechanical Designer). I will have to move the pump up closer to the blower bracket. Luckily, where I work, I have access to all the maching equipment.

For anyone who is thinking about going this route(procharger in a chevelle), I can send you a copy of the drawing for the bracket when I have finished and test fit it. Just let me know.

THanks for the Help,
Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.