Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all 454's come with cast cranks, what about 427's? What is the difference between truck and car 454's and 427's? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 71 LS5 Corvette motor that was born with a steel crank, and it's a two bolt block. Not sure about other applications. Truck 427 blocks have a higher deck area than passenger blocks. Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just bought a 454 that was originally in a mid 70's half ton. It has a forged crank and i'm sure it is factory. All 454's are the same whether they were in a truck or car. The bolt on parts may be different, the heads are not good for HP applications. The 427 and 366 from large trucks have a taller deck. The 366's all have 4 bolt mains that are an exact fit on a 454 block so if you want 4 bolt mains on your 454 get a set of 366 mains, that's what I did.

Chris D.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All 366/427 truck engines (tall deck) have steel cranks. Short deck engines crank usage depends on engine output. All solid lifter engines had steel cranks. Early 396's had steel cranks. Most other base engines had cast cranks.

------------------

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Well Rod, I was going to say something here, but these guys have said it all. Now you know. If you didn't know about 366BB, they were only in big trucks, so you will have to search the truck salvages for a set of 4bolt caps. The last set I got was $10.

------------------

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
My sources agree with Dan (dcarr) regarding the cast vs. forged cranks. The one exception is the '73 LS4, when in a Corvette with a 4 speed. It still got the forged crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.