Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the dilemma. I just put my motor (BBC) back in my car (68 Camaro) and with the spacer and the Dominator my 2" cowl hood is not going to cut it. So I think a 4" cowl will be good. Problem is should I go with fiberglass or steel? The problem I see with the steel cowl hoods are that they have all the bracing underneath and I know the cowl is onl 14-15" wide. All the drop base Dominator air cleaners I've seen are 16" wide so they wouldn't fit. The Fiberglass cowl is without that bracing so the aircleaner would fit. But I've read where there are a lot of fitment issues with the fiberglass hoods and also that new (lighter) hood springs are needed because the steel hood springs are too stiff? So would I be better off with a steel hood that I have to cut away some of the bracing and will probably fit better, or a fiberglass hood? This is a street car so I'm not concerned with the weight savings of the fiberglass hood. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I'm using a Harwood with the "show quality underside finish" its not light by any means and I'm using factory springs, the light springs wont hold it good enough to satisfy me, a bit of a breeze would blow it down.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I would say Fiberglass. As long as you stick with a good company you should be ok ! Harwood, GlassTek or VFN have a good rep.Thats a hell of a street car

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Another vote for the bolt on Harwood fiberglass hood. The one I got was the exact dimensions (perimeter) as the stock steel cowl hood. Yes, they recommend lighter springs, which they supply. The hood is not as light as a lift off, but much lighter than a stock cowl inducted hood. You will have plenty of room for spacers, big air cleaners, ect. Mine has been on my Chevelle for 4 years now, probably 2500 street miles on Michigan's horrible pothole filled roads, and no signs of stress cracks. Opens and closes as good as a steel hood.
Some trimming of the outside of the hood is required before painting (from what I remember) and the springs you get may be just a bit too light duty. My hood has closed by itself while outside on windy days. Other than that, I'm very happy with the Harwood.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Hey Patrick,

My father-in-law has a fiberglass 3" cowl hood, and I just put a steel aftermarket 2" cowl on my car due to the same issues you are talking about. Well, the difference is night and day concerning quality and finish. My father-in-law's hood is not a cheapie, but the factory bracing that mine has, along with using the same original springs and latch, make a world of difference, and make the car appear as it came from the factory with it. Your car is VERY nice, and I am sure you would want the same quality. Go with the steel hood with factory type bracing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts