Team Chevelle banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body out in Chevelle land know if any body makes a Steel Cowl hood for the 64 and 65 models , I have found fiberglass but don't wont to go fiberglass as I have heard to many stories about them , thanks please let me know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have been running a 3 inch cowl fiberglass hood on my 1965 since 1992. Steel is nice if you can get one but if you cant the fiberglass ones are not bad you just need to know what to look for. The first issue is flimsiness. Get one that weighs about 40 pounds (1/2 the weight of stock hood) and that should take care of it. Also make sure it is a bolt on no hood pins or stick props etc. Second - the highway jiggles. Because the hood is light and the 1965 is not very aerodynamic the hood can jiggle at highway speeds. The problem is solved by adding an Undercover innovations grill/core support tray which is also just a nice add on anyway and great for putting tools on so they don't fall on ground. The issue is the air from the grill get caught up under the hood this takes that out of equation. Hood springs - the hood manufacturer should have these if not some try and error at the hardware store. The good news is at 40 pounds you need a spring lighter than the stock one but not too light. The bow in the hood - depends on the manufacturer mine is not too bad and I would hope after 30 years they have gotten better. I got my hood from US body source back in 1992 and it took some work but we got a good outcome. I even added a functional cowl part. See photos below - Good luck with search.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts