Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do they cover your classic at an agreed value? I ask this because a friend's 72 classic truck was insured with other than "Classic car Insurance" and the carrier only allowed NADA value when his truck was totaled.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do they cover your classic at an agreed value? I ask this because a friend's 72 classic truck was insured with other than "Classic car Insurance" and the carrier only allowed NADA value when his truck was totaled.
In my case, yes, I have an agreed value with Hagerty.

I also have Cherished Salvage coverage, so that if it gets wrecked I get paid the full agreed value and also get to keep it for parts.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
2.] This conventional formulation, though, omits an important limitation: In basically all states, you can use nondeadly force to defend your property—and if the thief or vandal responds by threatening you with death or great bodily harm, you can then protect yourself with deadly force.Jun 2, 2021 Ga Law
Makes sense to reasonable people, but I could pretty much guarantee you that if you shoot someone in the USA your going to be paying for lawyers for years to come. Defense lawyers to try to keep you from getting charged. Even more lawyers if you were to get charged. Civil attorneys hired by the recipient of your bullet. Or their family. Your life is going to be a nightmare.
Right or wrong, my car isn’t worth the headaches. Life’s to short.

Reactions: chaze

·
Registered
67 Chevelle Malibu (Convertible)
192 Posts
Makes sense to reasonable people, but I could pretty much guarantee you that if you shoot someone in the USA your going to be paying for lawyers for years to come. Defense lawyers to try to keep you from getting charged. Even more lawyers if you were to get charged. Civil attorneys hired by the recipient of your bullet. Or their family. Your life is going to be a nightmare.
Right or wrong, my car isn’t worth the headaches. Life’s to short.
I agree, I would never want to take another life.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't know exact number but it was a frame off resto with lots of upgrades, so about $16k plus or minus.
I checked online and got a quote from Grundy for $50K and it’s only about $700 a year but that don’t seem right, that would be a great deal.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I checked online and got a quote from Grundy for $50K and it’s only about $700 a year but that don’t seem right, that would be a great deal.
I’m paying $760 a year for 2 vehicles through Hagerty. My 1972 Chevelle with an agreed value of $45K and my wife’s 1965 Mustang with an agreed value of $28K.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’m paying $760 a year for 2 vehicles through Hagerty. My 1972 Chevelle with an agreed value of $45K and my wife’s 1965 Mustang with an agreed value of $28K.
So I guess the quote is correct. I have insurance with State Farm now and after digging deeper into my policy, I don’t think it’s such a good deal. I believe I will check with Hagerty tomorrow. Do you have other insurance with your classics or just the insurance with Hagerty?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So I guess the quote is correct. I have insurance with State Farm now and after digging deeper into my policy, I don’t think it’s such a good deal. I believe I will check with Hagerty tomorrow. Do you have other insurance with your classics or just the insurance with Hagerty?
My classics are at Hagerty only, my daily drivers are at Travelers.

Reactions: LowRider67

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I believe it was Grundy who told me that a theft would only be covered if it was stolen out of my locked garage, or right from under my nose with the car being in my presence. That was 8 or 9 years ago. Another thing they asked me was how much horse power was under the hood, and I learned that if I was honest about the answer, and told them 800 HP, they would refuse to insure it at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drive a convertible, so no coat hanger needed. I use a club on the wheel and a bike chain for the hood. If they want it that bad they can have it as long as I don’t catch them in the act...S&W will take it from there
Where do you live that is legal to shoot somebody breaking into your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Where do you live that is legal to shoot somebody breaking into your car?

I live in Georgia, we have what’s called the Stand Your Ground Law. That means you can protect your property to include home, vehicle, or others without retreating. We can open carry, or conceal and you can even carry in your vehicle without a permit. It’s not the Wild West but we have a right to protect what belongs to us. So for instance if someone broke into my home or car, I have the right to hold them under a gun until authorities arrive, if that person advances towards me in anyway or makes a threat of harm to me, I have the right to use deadly force, and I am justified in the state of Ga. but for instance if that person is running away or driving away in my car, I can’t just shoot them in the back.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It has already been posted BUT just because you are protected from CRIMINAL prosecution by stand your ground, you WILL need attorneys to PROVE that you had no choice. Just claiming it is not enough. Then, stand your ground does NOT protect you from CIVIL suits by the victim or his relatives. Think O.J. Simpson. He got off on the murder charges but was socked with a 30+ million dollar civil liability suit which was upheld under appeal. Stand your ground does not = free.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It has already been posted BUT just because you are protected from CRIMINAL prosecution by stand your ground, you WILL need attorneys to PROVE that you had no choice. Just claiming it is not enough. Then, stand your ground does NOT protect you from CIVIL suits by the victim or his relatives. Think O.J. Simpson. He got off on the murder charges but was socked with a 30+ million dollar civil liability suit which was upheld under appeal. Stand your ground does not = free.
I understand all that, but if someone is threatening harm or attempting harm to my family or myself, I’m not really thinking about the aftermath. Lets move on to talking about Chevelle’s😊

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
..... but for instance if that person is running away or driving away in my car, I can’t just shoot them in the back.
x2 that's^^ a good point.
I understand all that, but if someone is threatening harm or attempting harm to my family or myself, I’m not really thinking about the aftermath. Lets move on to talking about Chevelle’s😊
Protecting your car is NOT the same thing as protecting yourself, your family, nor even anyone else that you might not even know from bodily harm. In general, firearms and the right to bear arms is for the purpose of self-defense, and the defense of other PEOPLE. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in Georgia, we have what’s called the Stand Your Ground Law. That means you can protect your property to include home, vehicle, or others without retreating. We can open carry, or conceal and you can even carry in your vehicle without a permit. It’s not the Wild West but we have a right to protect what belongs to us. So for instance if someone broke into my home or car, I have the right to hold them under a gun until authorities arrive, if that person advances towards me in anyway or makes a threat of harm to me, I have the right to use deadly force, and I am justified in the state of Ga. but for instance if that person is running away or driving away in my car, I can’t just shoot them in the back.
We have stand your ground in WA too. It does not allow you to defend your property. It allows you to defend yourself without having to seek retreat first.

You also have to use equal force. If you held someone under gunpoint and they advanced unarmed you probably are still going to see a court to determine if that is equal force.... he was unarmed you were armed. You would have to prove actual “fear for your life”

I read your statement as like in the olden days your on property so i shot you which isn’t stand your ground.

Even Castle Doctrine is tricky in that you can protect yourself from your vehicle if someone is try to remove, assault or kill you. Does not mean you can shoot someone breaking in.

Lucky though I think Georgia has both stand your ground and Castle doctrine.

WA is both open carry and concealed with permit but alot don’t open carry so when people do there’s alot of strange looks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand all that, but if someone is threatening harm or attempting harm to my family or myself, I’m not really thinking about the aftermath. Lets move on to talking about Chevelle’s
I posted my reply before i read this. I’m gonna leave it up but sounds like you got a good understanding.

Initial post just sounded like you try to steal my car i’ll shoot you.

I wholeheartedly agree. Back to Chevelle’s

41 - 60 of 61 Posts