Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,279 Posts
I think I'm in the " If it gets stolen I get a fat check and build another one that would be better for less $$$" crowd, mine is in a fenced & locked storage/shop facility that has 3-4 security cams with 2 aimed at the cars garage door and 2 people live there :oops: but those repo type trucks with the slide out snatch thing can Grab & Go in a Minute or Less, good Insurance is the best thing IMO, I few yrs. ago a local guy left a car show and was followed home ( I was told that's what he thought), he parked in his alley access driveway went inside came out a little later and his classic was gone, don't remember what the guys car was though

·
Registered
94 Posts
For those who are prepared to stop a theft with a device of any brand or caliber, talk to a cop, or a lawyer first. More likely it is you who will be in the back seat of a squad car or the recipient of a lawsuit by the "victim" or his family.

·
Registered
67 Chevelle Malibu (Convertible)
192 Posts
For those who are prepared to stop a theft with a device of any brand or caliber, talk to a cop, or a lawyer first. More likely it is you who will be in the back seat of a squad car or the recipient of a lawsuit by the "victim" or his family.
Lol...where I’m from the thief just disappears for some reason...no witnesses😎

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Only if you don't have a backhoe...

·
Gold Founding Member
5,819 Posts
I love my 70 Chevelle but when I take it out I just use common sense prevention. I hope nothing happens to it but Im not going to worry so much about it that I cant have a good time. I have good insurance to cover me if anything does happen.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Here is a video on stealing classic cars. Nothing new but maybe entertaining.
Scroll down the page a bit.

I couldn't find the article but I did buy 5 tickets to win that sweet 69 1/2 Super bee. :D

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
My thought exactly, and I'll go one step further by saying it is the legal firearm owner in that case who will be prosecuted and incarcerated. Firearms are for self defense to prevent bodily harm, NOT for preventing theft. Frankly I'm amazed that some gun owners make such statements as to indicate that they would use their weapons for theft prevention. I value my Second Amendment right more than that. I mean no offense here, but apparently some people here know a whole lot more about Chevelles than they do about firearm laws and their Second Amendment rights.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
...oh BTW, as far as "getting a fat check from the insurance company" goes, I'm no expert at car insurance issues, so maybe someone can enlighten me, but based on my telephone discussions with a few classic car insurance companies, it seems that any affordable classic car insurance policy specifies that the vehicle CANNOT BE LEFT UNATTENDED UNLESS INSIDE OF LOCKED GARAGE, and the only way that the vehicle in question would be paid for in the event of a theft occurring outside of a locked garage, is if the owner was present during such a theft, and the keys were literally taken from him or her by force during the theft, which to my knowledge is precisely why classic car insurance is so cheap, ( since the insurance companies rarely pay for a theft).

So it seems to me that the only way that your old car that you've poured mega dollars into would be paid for if stolen, would be if you have a very expensive claimed value policy from a standard car insurance company, and mucho pics, receipts, and a professional appraisal to prove the value. Please explain if there's something I'm missing on that.

·
Premium Member
12,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The following came from the lips of a detective with 25 years experience. If one is going to shoot a violator, shoot them with pepper spray instead of a firearm. If they are stealing your car it will subdue the offender till the cops can get there. If they say it’s going to be a while spray the offender a second time but tell the cops that your wife is bringing you your Glock. That will speed the cops up a little.
If you do shoot someone you might as well kill them because if you don’t they will sue the crap out of you. Even if you kill them their piece of crap baby mama will sue you anyway cause you took away her means of support.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
The following came from the lips of a detective with 25 years experience. If one is going to shoot a violator, shoot them with pepper spray instead of a firearm. If they are stealing your car it will subdue the offender till the cops can get there. If they say it’s going to be a while spray the offender a second time but tell the cops that your wife is bringing you your Glock. That will speed the cops up a little.
If you do shoot someone you might as well kill them because if you don’t they will sue the crap out of you. Even if you kill them their piece of crap baby mama will sue you anyway cause you took away her means of support.
Very true^^^ but even if you shoot and kill the perpetrator and there's nobody left behind to sue you, there often will be a witness somewhere who saw something before, during, or after the incident who's testimony will get you incarcerated for a long time. The DA will build a legal case against you. People need to understand that Second Amendment = self defense, NOT theft prevention.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,456 Posts
...oh BTW, as far as "getting a fat check from the insurance company" goes, I'm no expert at car insurance issues, so maybe someone can enlighten me, but based on my telephone discussions with a few classic car insurance companies, it seems that any affordable classic car insurance policy specifies that the vehicle CANNOT BE LEFT UNATTENDED UNLESS INSIDE OF LOCKED GARAGE, and the only way that the vehicle in question would be paid for in the event of a theft occurring outside of a locked garage, is if the owner was present during such a theft, and the keys were literally taken from him or her by force during the theft, which to my knowledge is precisely why classic car insurance is so cheap, ( since the insurance companies rarely pay for a theft).

So it seems to me that the only way that your old car that you've poured mega dollars into would be paid for if stolen, would be if you have a very expensive claimed value policy from a standard car insurance company, and mucho pics, receipts, and a professional appraisal to prove the value. Please explain if there's something I'm missing on that.
Wow, I never thought of that. I hope that is not true.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

I just read through my entire policy (Hagerty) and it contains no such provision. So, I called, and asked, "Hey, if I drive my car to the store, walk inside to buy a Coke, come back out and my car has been stolen, do you cover that?" The answer was simple. "Yup."

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I need to see an excerpt from a policy to confirm that
I could see that they want you to store it indoors when at home but to not cover it when your out and about? I don’t see that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
2.] This conventional formulation, though, omits an important limitation: In basically all states, you can use nondeadly force to defend your property—and if the thief or vandal responds by threatening you with death or great bodily harm, you can then protect yourself with deadly force.Jun 2, 2021 Ga Law

·
Registered
192 Posts
And my State Farm insurance covers my classic just like the rest of my property.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts