Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video on stealing classic cars. Nothing new but maybe entertaining.
Scroll down the page a bit.

Registered
They are simple machines from a simple time. The engineering back then did not think about stuff that we would find important today. Safety no seat belts or very basic, very poor handling, terrible brakes, lighting is terrible, steering was clumsy at best. Security was not even considered necessary by the most basic requirements. These cars where built with a ten year life span in mind, anything after that was not important.

Registered
67 Chevelle Malibu (Convertible)
Here is a video on stealing classic cars. Nothing new but maybe entertaining.
Scroll down the page a bit.

I drive a convertible, so no coat hanger needed. I use a club on the wheel and a bike chain for the hood. If they want it that bad they can have it as long as I don鈥檛 catch them in the act...S&W will take it from there馃憤馃徎

Registered
This is why you hide a fuel shutoff, ignition cutoff, and maybe a line-lock for the brakes.

Reactions: Leadhead

Registered
My car sits in a locked garage with a security camera pointed at it. The battery is in the trunk with a master cutoff switch, it's a four speed, and if you turn the collar on the steering column, the ignition switch won't turn. When we take it out, we don't make stops as a general rule. If I get gas, I have to pull the keys out because i have a locking gas cap, AND I always pay at the pump, so the car is not left alone. On the rare occasions that we take it somewhere to eat, it's ONLY at places where we can see the car from our seat. Then there is my trusty .45 ACP If I catch them in the act. If all else fails and they steal it, it would probably aggravate them enough they would probably bring it back! :p. If that doesn't work, I'll collect my insurance and buy the C6 Corvette I always wanted that has all of those fancy ant-theft features.

Gold Founding Member
My old Plymouths had the coil half way through the firewall with the positive wire under the dash going to it from the ignition in metal conduit through a cap on the back of the coil. Of course you could always through a different coil under the hood so that was not all that thief safe.

Now days nothing really works all that great either, a repro truck can take a car in less than five minutes.

Registered
My old Plymouths had the coil half way through the firewall with the positive wire under the dash going to it from the ignition in metal conduit through a cap on the back of the coil. Of course you could always through a different coil under the hood so that was not all that thief safe.

Now days nothing really works all that great either, a repro truck can take a car in less than five minutes.
And trailer locks are defenseless against a battery powered cutoff wheel.

After it's gone then there are the strip shops, repro vins and states that don't use titles, and shipping containers for export. There is a huge foreign demand

Sleep with one eye open if you and your car are not at home.

Registered
My car really doesn鈥檛 have any sentimental value to me. I like it but it鈥檚 not a high value car or anything rare that I would cry over if it got stolen. I built it to drive it so I park my car anywhere. The grocery store, movie theater, it doesn鈥檛 matter. I lock the doors and go about my day.
If someone steals it, I get a fat check from insurance and build another one. With everything I learned building this one, from this site and other, the next one would be built better, more quickly and for less $$.
With my luck someone would steal it, open the hood and see the V6 and bring it back with a big FU note on it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts