Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up significant static noise in my stereo system. The noise only occurs when the motor is running and gets worse as rpm's increase.
The stereo is a new aftermarket unit - Custom Autosound, with a power amp and CD changer in the trunk. Car is a 1970 SS396. Any ideas where I should start trying to track this down? Thanks. Steve

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mr. Muha's suggestion looks like the quickest, easiest, and cheapest solution. If that doesn't work you could look inside the distributor to be sure the RF shield is intact(assuming it's an HEI). Or you could buy a set of braided steel shielded plug wires like they had on big block corvettes back in the day.

Other than the buzz, how do you like your new stereo...easy to install? I'm thinking about one for my '69 el camino.

Skip

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I will try the filter route first and see how that goes. The Custom Autosound unit is good, although I had to wait quite a while, over a month, after ordering it from a local dealer. Guess I'm used to Crutchfield delivering stuff in 3 days. Anyway, there was a similar unit (not working at the time) in the car when I bought it, so the amp, CD changer, and speakers were already there making install a snap. Seems to work pretty well if I can just get rid of that pesky static.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
In almost all cases of “audible tachometer” they are directly related to a grounding problem. It’s not necessarily a problem other than the location. If you can find a common ground site for all the components you will be much better off. You are experiencing a ground loop. The thing you need to try to track down and use is a ground loop isolator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
70 nialator,
Thanks for the additional information. Bear with me because I'm not very savvy when it comes to electrical issues. So is what you're saying is that I either need to take all grounding leads associated with the stereo system to a common grounding location OR install a "ground loop isolator"?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Relocating the grounds is the fix, or should be in most cases. I know it’s a lot of work. Most of the time a ground loop isolator will take care of about 90 percent of the noise,
I would try installing an inline RCA isolator first. Take a listen and see what you think. If you still have more noise than you can stand then think about moving the ground wires.
There are so many variables that play into stereo noise, alternators, plug wires ground locations, ect. I’m just giving you the things that have worked best for me in the past.
http://members.cox.net/renslove70ss/stereo.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts