Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a valve spring break on my 454 and took it to a machine shop and had it repaired. During the process, I went ahead and changed the head gaskets on both sides. Now after hitching everything back up, I cannot get the car to start. When I do a compression check, it shows no compression. The gaskets are on there good and tight. The only other thing I could think of was the valve lash being adjusted improperly. I am getting fuel and fire but no compression.

W

·
0 Posts
Start by backing off all the rockers. Pull the plugs out and turn the motor around to TDC on number one cylinder. Get out your trusty wrench and with your left hand spin the push rod while you tighten the rockers. Take it down until it just snugs up or stops the spining. Then put a half turn on the adjuster. Do both rockers. Now the tricky part starts, if the balancer was degreed all the way around it would be easy. You need to rotate the crank about 90 degrees, then adjust the next cylinder, number 8. Repeat for the entire firing, 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. This should get it close enough to run if the cam is not to wild. The 90 degree deal is a little tricky, use a big ratchet and go from 12 oclock to 3 oclock as a reference.

Take the fan off if you need to to get working room in front of the motor.

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 06-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 06-03-99).]

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think Wally has the right idea. I would try backing off all of the rockers. If they are tightened down too far it will make it so the valves never close, and thus no compression. Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Registered
622 Posts
From personal experience I agree that your valves are probably too tight (not seating)- did you use the "spin the pushrod" method ??I suggest you DO NOT USE THIS METHOD. Back off the adjusters till there is up and down play in the pushrods. Follow your manuals instructions on which valves to adjust at what crank setting and adjust till all up and down movement disappears, then tighten 1/4 to 3/4 as you prefer.
Unless you are "experienced" the spin method is not a good idea.

------------------

W

·
0 Posts
Mr BillK is also high on the wiggle up and down method. I have never done it any other way other than the spin method, the way I was taught. It assumes a certain level of mechanical ability and finesse. It astounds me that people can just jump in, swap head gaskets, put it back together and not be able to adjust the valves. I know the procedure is on the site already, some of you need to read and do a little research before you start one of these projects. You should also have enough sense to pass on things you can't handle, pay to have the work done.

I'm not busting anybodys chops here but but this is old stuff, been done to many times on here. RESEARCH!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wally, for your information, I HAVE DONE RESEARCH. I would not pose a question here if I did not need help. If you do not have time to offer help to a fellow Chevelle owner in need of assistance, IGNORE PEOPLE ASKING FOR HELP! At least most of the other people on here seem to want to help. Thanks for everyone who has offered me assistance! It is greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
david, if you have stock rockers and hydraulic lifters adjust the nuts down till about 3 or 4 threads are showing above the nut, this will get it close enough to start. I've used this method for 30 years and it has always worked on chevy V-8's and 6's. Then you can go back and do the final adjusting. Philip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: The valves were too tight. I readjusted them and now have my compression back. I still am not able to start the car though. I have fuel, compression and spark but not even a rumble. I have tried advancing and retarding the timing but to no avail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a similar problem,first I've didn't recognise that it was solid lifters,I was impressed with the starter whos runned as if we where driving down the highway and didn't need the engine for that.But the engine would't start.My first thought was the ignition so I've turnd it front and back so I had no idea where on the timingmark I was.When I noticed the solid lifters and got that right I've got carbfire and exhaustexplosions,but no engine running.
Than I just had to sit down five minutes and bread through my nose,calm down and just go back to squaer one and check that I had the number one cylinder at the top by looking at the valverockers,and not cyl 6.Put the distributer in position,get in behind the sterinweel hold my breath and turn the key.Of cause I've runned out of battery but that is another story,with my battery juiced up it started at first try and I felt kinda satisfied,you know.

My tip is that you got the distributor out of place and very soon is riding happily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks Janne Falk. That's exactly what it was. It turns out that I have solid lifters and was adjusting them as if ey were hydraulic. After readjusting them as solid and turning the distributor, she fired right up. Thanks again for everybody's input.

W

·
0 Posts
Well DH, I'm glad you figured out what kind of lifters you had in the motor. If you remember I asked you that from the jump. But when I suggested that some research was in order you saw fit to flame me. Well it's my turn, nope it's not worth it, Al is a nice guy and I don't think he would like what I had to say.

Wally
Gold #67

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cant we all just get along?

lets just all forget about it, pretend like it never happened. it will be our little secret.

Mike
Gold #34

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wally, just to let you know, I did research as much as possible BEFORE I even posted a question on here. I have a book on big block engines and three Chevelle manuals. I also looked extensively on the net. I am not one to ask for help until I have come to the end of my rope (which I was at). I can appreciate the fact that some people "abuse" the system by not even trying themselves but I tried everything I knew and tried everything read. Abusers would *****me off too. As I mentioned on the lifters, I thought they were hydraulic. I had a friend tell me he thought they were but I never could seem to verify whether they were or not.
I apologize for flaming you but I took your reply to me as a flame myself by your insenuation that I had not even done any research without asking me if I had or not. One of the things I really enjoyed about buying the Chevelle was the fact of knowing that there are more experienced people, such as yourself, that I could ask for help from in case I got in a bind(which I did). I had done everything the book said to do but was still not working.
On a happy note, the car is running great! Just took it out on the interstate a few minutes ago and she is running great! Thanks again for your help Wally. It was appreciated. After realizing I had solid lifters, I went back and adjusted my valves like you said to and it worked.

W

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry you took my comments as a flame, but they were more of a general statement and not directed at you. I'm glad you got your car going, after all it's more fun driving these cars than working on them.

Wally
Gold #67

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wally and others,

First of all, adjusting valve lash is not an easy thing for a first timer. I tried the spin the rod method and got them way too tight myself. This is a shade tree technique that should not be offered as a reliable method becuase it requires too much "feel".

I have no problem with people posting questions without research. If you think the question is silly, don't answer it.

I post stuff on this site all the time- just because I'm wondering and I can't work on my car at the moment.

Simple questions allow those of us who are not mechanical geniouses to help a novice out. I have no idea how to trouble shoot internal engine problems, but I can help a guy get his power steering set up.

If people are afraid to ask questions out of fear of ridcule then this site will die. So just chill.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.