Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! 70 Chevelle. Battery in the trunk. 2 guage positive wire running up to right front wheel well. There I have heavy duty terminal mounted. Connecting to that I have the heavy red MSD wire and then a 2 guage wire going down to the starter.
When starting the 540 ci, if it dont start right away the voltage drops down to about 5 volts at the terminal, which i believe is causing the solonoid to drop out and rake my flywheel!Tore up one flywheel already! :mad:
Any ideas what is causing the big voltage drop? I also have a 2 guage ground wire coming up from the battery and grounded on the block.
Should I run the positive wire directly to the starter and run the msd wire back to the battery??
Ive tried a couple batteries..no go. Any other suggestions??? thanks for any replies!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
YOur job here should be to find WHERE the "drop" is located? Does the voltage at the battery terminal drop to this value? Or is it across the terminal that you refer to in the wheel well.

By hooking the voltmeter across the battery terminal to the starter should tell you the drop of the entire feed when cranking. If the drop is less than a volt DC I would move on. Check the ground as well. This cable should be the same size as your feed cable. Also, sometimes frame grounded systems (at the rear/truck) can be poor due to internal rusting in the frame system but most connections to the frame are okay. Do you have an adequate ground strap to the engine?

If you cannot find any "drops" in these connections and whereas a number 2 is fine for up to 150amps at 10 foot runs..... it's the source that won't adequately supply the current.

It's an outside possibility that the starter is on the edge of operational specs as well hogging current (almost shorted) and pulling the voltage down.

While I know you have tried other batteries, remember turning over that behemoth engine is a real work task which takes watts to accomplish. Watts of course is accomplished by providing adequate current from the source or battery.

I would try a mini-starter instead of a regular one.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOTRODSRJ
I am hooking the voltmeter to the terminal I refered to, not the battery. Also the ground cable is also 2 guage wire running up from the battery directly to the engine block, not through the frame.
I have the positive MSD wires hooked to that terminal on the wheelwell also. I may also try hooking them directly to the battery. Maybe they are robbing voltage from the wire coming from the battery. After that will be the starter. The starter I have is somewhat of a mini-starter. Its a Quicksilver marine starter for 502 BBC marine engines. Its about 2-3 years old.
Anyway, thanks for the help. Any other suggestions are appreciated!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts