Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67SS fires right up cold, one push of the accelerator to set the choke, immediate start up. When warm after sitting for a few minutes, such as, getting gas, it is really hard to start. Sometimes after it starts, black smoke will be visible from the tailpipes. Could the carb be loading up? The engine is a stock 396/325 with factory Quadrajet. Any ideas or suggestion will be most appreciated. Everything seems to be in order on the carb.

Troy

· Registered
374 Posts
What's your hot start procedure? I hit the gas twice when cold, never when hot. My neighbor wanted to start my car one time... It was warmed up and as he got in he started pumping the gas like mad saying I know these old cars... They're always hard to start... :angry: I limped home with a few fouled plugs after that one.

Vaporlock maybe?

David

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David

Hmmm, I didn't think of vaporlock. Anyway, I've tried both ways of starting when warmed up, giving it a little gas and not giving it a little gas. Either way, it has to grind for a bit before it finally kicks off. For what it's worth, I replaced the metal fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb, with a hose to clear my AC compressor bracket. I wonder if that might have anything to do with it?

Troy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.