Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to have a starting problem. It will crank and then it wont crank. I have a new battery, new alternator, new starter, new coil, even new battery cable's. To me it feels like when I turn the ignition switch in the on position is not engaging all the time. So can this be my problem?. How can i trouble shoot it, and repair it.

Vinny

------------------
1970 350 Project Chevelle

1994 TransAm G.T. LT-1 with all the goodies that make it gooooooooo.

1990 Camaro RS 3.1 Daily Driver

http://community.webtv.net/vinnro/VINNYS1994TRANSAM

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
By not cranking do you mean that you get nothing when you turn the key? Lights come on, on the dash and the car justs doesn't do anything? Tried to pull the shifter hard into park? Does it help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
By not cranking do you mean that you get nothing when you turn the key? Lights come on, on the dash and the car justs doesn't do anything? Tried to pull the shifter hard into park? Does it help? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes nothing, except for the dash lights do come on. I even played with the shifter to make sure it was lock in park also put in neutral position to give it a try still no luck. Like I said it does start up and then it doesnt the next time, very odd.

Vinny

------------------

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Intermittent problems are always a bear to work on. The next time it acts up try one of two things. On the starter solenoid there is a purple wire screwed on the solenoid "S" terminal. This is the 12 volts from the ignition switch to run the starter. Try:
1, Jump that to the large red battery positive wire on the solenoid. Some guys use a screwdriver.
OR
2, Measure the purple wire to ground as someone turns the key.
I try to recommend pulling out the small coil wire as you do either. That way the car doesn't fire while you are under there.
Either method checks out to see if the problem is with the 12 volts on the purple wire. If it is a problem with the purple wire, you are then back to checking the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like time for a new ignition switch. This is especially true if the car won't start but all the ancillary electrics work such as lights etc. I have seen many of them on at this age and time.

Just my edumacated guess.

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HOTRODSRJ:
Sounds like time for a new ignition switch. This is especially true if the car won't start but all the ancillary electrics work such as lights etc. I have seen many of them on at this age and time.

Just my edumacated guess.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I played around with the chevelle today and even installed another starter just in case. It did the same thing all over again. So I played around under the dash wiring and it just looked like a bunch of jerry rigged wires running everywhere. I re-spliced a couple of them to make it look clean under there. So it still does it. I wiggled the ignition switch around, and BAM now it starts up. So i found the problem. Now a new question is, how hard is it to replace one. Can I find a replacement at any local part store?

Vinny

------------------

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Kragen up here handled the ignition switches a couple of years ago. May have to order it and wait a day.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If your ig switch is the original "in the column" type, the ignition (electrical) switch part is actually located at the bottom of the column under the dash slighly on the drivers side. It is connected via a shaft that pushes it up and down with the rotation of the ignition barrel/lock. What you have to ask your self is the ignition not working because of this sliding switch or other mechanical anomolies within the column.

My guess it's the sliding switch at the bottom of the column and that can be had at a NAPA store for that matter in their Eclin line. This sliding switch assembly could be simply loose on the column causing the intermittent issues....have seen that one too.

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
38 Posts
My brother had this same problem with his 70 and it turned out to be the solonoid on the starter.(new chrome starter) Check for power at the solonoid next time it acts up and if there is power at the terminal closest to the block on the starter when you turn the key to start (use a test light) its the solonoid. If not you will have to look elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts