Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few problems on my '70 396. It has a comp cams 224x234, orig (points) dist, and roch carb
1. Initial starts are a slight problem. After sitting for a week it starts up but wants to die within 10 seconds. If I feather the throttle it stays running and goes to high idle.
2. Once warm the idle jumps around about 100 rpm (850-950)and the timing jumps around +/- 2 degrees. (Vac leak? Dist end play?)
3. It is timed at 15 btdc, 35 total. When I connect the vac advance I cant put the car in gear (automatic) without it stalling. It doesnt do this with the vac advance disconencted.
4. The vac advance bumps the timing up to 25 degrees at idle and advances it to over 45 degrees as I rev the motor, is this working correctly? How can I test it?
5. Finally, twice when the car got hot it wouldnt restart. The idiot lights would dim when I turned the key but nothing would happen, not even a click from the starter. All wiring on the car is brand new.

Any advice?

·
Registered
38 Posts
dont know about about the rest but your starting problems but it sounds like worn starter brushes when it gets hot. BBC have played hell with starters since the beginning of time with the heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.