Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to start my 66 SS for the first time. Fresh motor and recent restoration. I can not get the starter to turn over with the key. I can get it to engage by screwdriver though. I have 12 volts at the positive side of the coil when the key is turned to start. I jumped in a different coil to see if it would change anything, it didn't. It is an automatic. I checked out the NSS and it SEEMS ok. Any guesses? Or Helpful experiences?

------------------
2 piece 66 SS396
'72 C20 4x4 (427T)
Gold #75

·
Registered
241 Posts
There are 2 terminals on the solenoid,, you should be using the one closest to the block. Also check that this wire is getting voltage to the starter. Is it a new starter? I recently swapped motors using same starter which was marginal to begin with but had to replace after swap.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Bob is right. The purple wire, from the neutral safety switch goes to the solenoid "S" terminal. The "S" is embossed on the solenoid.
Take it from a guy who messed up a new rebuilt. It's not good to keep spinning the engine without firing it up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the wires to the solenoid correct. I must have checked it 20 times. I haven't been able to get the starter to spin from the key. I can get it to jump with a screwdriver but not with the key. The purple is supposed to be hot with the key on? I'll check that this evening. I'm not spinning the engine yet I'm just trying to get the electrical working so I can get it running after I get everything else ready. Thanks

------------------
2 piece 66 SS396
'72 C20 4x4 (427T)
Gold #75

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Purple is hot when you turn the key to the run position. It is not hot in the on position.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check to see if you get voltage at the neutral safety switch when your key is turned to the start position, then check for voltage coming out of the neutral safety switch. From there, go outside where the main engine wiring harness goes through the firewall and check for voltage at the purple wire there. The neutral switch is also your back up light switch. Do they work? If not, the tab on the switch that intersects with the shift tube inside the column may be broken. A quicker check would be to unplug the starter wires to the neutral switch and plug a jumper wire into them. If this makes your starter work, go buy a new neutral switch. Let all of us know what you find.
Aloha, OL

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
sounds like your neutral safety switch is either maladjusted or disconnected. Have you tried holding the key in the start position and moving your shifter to see if you can connect thru the NSS?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey it works! I figured out how the NSS works and jumpered across it and low and behold the starter turned. That felt good. It is set up a little different from my truck. I was kinda surprised at that. Now to get her to run. I fiddled with it a little tonight with no luck. Tomorrow I'll set it to TDC and try again. Wish me luck! I so want to drive her this year! I've been saying that for too many years. I'm sooo close I can taste it! Thanks for the help.

------------------
2 piece 66 SS396
'72 C20 4x4 (427T)
Gold #75

1 - 8 of 8 Posts