Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem starting my 72. When I turn the key to the START position the engine just turns over but doesnt start. When I let the key return to the RUN position quick enough, then the cylinders get spark and the engine starts to run. Is this an easy problem to fix. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Sean

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yellow (I think) wire from the R terminal of the starter solenoid to the + of the coil is broken or missing. The ignition switch has a problem and isn't putting power to the coil in the start position.

Check the second one by putting it in D so you can turn the key to start without it actually starting. All usual safety recommendations apply.

Peter

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Peter is correct, if you're using the stock distributor. If you've changed to a HEI, move the source +12V to the IGN terminal on the fuse block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the lack of info in the first post. I got the car with no engine so I put a GMPP 350 H.O. in that came with the HEI. I have 12v going to one of the terminal connectors on the HEI. The other trminal connector is empty, but I think thats because it goes to a tach which i dont have. I looked at my starter and cant see any wires going from starter to distributor. One new thing i have discovered is that if the engine is warm, it wants to start better(just one or two cranks, normally I can hold the key in the start position and it wont start at all until I release the key to the run position). Well I appreciate the replys so far and keep 'em coming please, I need all the help I can get. Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steering columns

Does any one know of a shop in Long Island NY that rebuilds steering columns or have any inf on how to rebuild it my-self. I have a 70 chevelle 396SS with a tilt column.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts