Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I've got a 64 Malibu SS Convertible, bucket seats with console. Sometimes the car turns the engine over when I turn the key, sometimes it does not. It's dead, nothing at all. So far I replaced the battery cables, replaced the battery grounding strap, and replaced the starter. My next plan of attack is to either replace the ignition switch or replace the neutral safety switch. I don't mind replacing these parts since they are pretty inexpensive and I'm still learning this thing called working on your own car. I have two questions. 1. Where is my neutral safety switch located? Is it against the firewall on top of the steering column? 2. How does one go about taking out the ignition cylinder from the dash? I've had backyard mechanics tell me that they don't think it is the ignition. I'm taking off tomorrow from work to trouble shoot this.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Te NSS switch is mounted on the column under the dash. When the car doesn't start does jumping solenoid terminal "S" to the large battery cable on the solenoid make it work?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I might be wrong. I didn't see it shown anywhere else in the assembly manual, but I did a quick peek. Can't look again until later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. My starting issues were because of bad grounds. I removed, cleaned, tightened all connections and have not had a problem since. I've started the car about 20 times since yesterday and it starts without a hitch. I also had a problem with my headlights not always coming on and that was also bad grounds/connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts