Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my frame from the body shop this week to start restoring it. Any tips on where to start, what to look for etc.
The body is going on the rotisserie in the body shop and I'm responsible for doing the frame, brakes etc. and getting the motor put back in to take it back to the body shop when the get the body done.
This is my first frame off so I thought maybe you guys could give me some
tips or lead me to a section on this site or another that will walk me through the process.
I have a sandblaster lined up to do the frame. I was going to have it galvanized but, I think for originality I'm just going to blast it and paint it.
The guy who owns the sandblasting shop is going to blast it for 150.00. He said he would blast prime and paint it for 200.00...
An extra 50.00 is pretty cheap to prime and paint it don't you all think? I kind of wanted to paint it myself though.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was thinking one of you guys on here had pics. of your frame resto from start to finish that I looked at a few months ago but, I can't seem to find them... Anybody know?

·
Registered
1970 Malibu 2nd owner since 1999 350 M20 Misty Turquoise pearl int bench AT/MT swapped by myself
209 Posts
I'm no expert on frame off's but I do know that once you blast metal, it rust's almost immediately. I would talk to your blaster and make sure that they thoroughly clean the frame before they prime it. Also, ask what specific brand and type of primer they use. If it's a decent primer, I would have them do a basic thin coat. That way it wouldn't be too hard to remove it they do a crappy job but will protect it long enough for you to get more primer/paint on it. Unless you really trust the blaster to do a great job on the paint, I would have the body shop do it since it will be in their shop anyway (and probably a much cleaner environment).

Just my 2 cents :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts