Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!
I've finally put the battery in the 72 last night, turned the ignition, and it cranked over. Turned the key off, and it continues to crank!
I researched and was fairly certain that I had the correct wires hooked to the solenoid, etc.
If it helps, this car was converted to HEI. There is spark at the plug.
Can anyone share some knowledge with me before I start pulling wires again and play the hunt-peck method of repair?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Is the starter sticking in the flywheel? Not disengaging when you release the key?

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I'd check the starter solenoid...

The 454 in my truck did this once, and by the time I found a wrench to disconnnect the battery the starter had toasted itself. (it was pretty funny in hindsight.... my truck in the background - Rrrr-Rrrr-Rrrr.... - trying very hard to start itself - but the ign was off, and me running around trying to find ANY wrench, pliers, or even a swiss army knife :D )

I replaced the starter and solenoid, and never had it happen again. I suspected the solenoid as causing the problem....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had this happen to my Duster one time. I came of of a wrecking yard and I can hear some idiot cranking a starter motor for a very long time but car is not starting. As I get closer I realize it's MY car that cranking over and someone must be trying to steal it! I run down the road to my car, and it's cranking over all by itself with the keys in my pocket. I lift the hood and the battery cable is going up in smoke. Luckly the cable was loose enough that I could pull it off the battery. Turns out it was a defective ignition switch. Dave

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll fully disengage the key to the lock position, and it's still running. Luckily, I had installed one of those quick disconnect terminals, so I quickly unscrewed the post.
When I try it again, the starter is disengaged. A professional mechanic friend suggests that I hooked the two solenoid wires up backwards.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Have you gotten any farther in solving the problem? Inquiry minds want to know..... :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have to agree and say the solenoid is bad. I just went through this with my grandmothers 1985 Ford crown victoria, the battery died and the car sat for a while (she has basicaly given up driving so it wasn't a rush to fix it) and when I put the new battery in and hooked the negative cable to the battery I got some sparks and the starter began to start the motor. I went to the local junkyard and they agreed that the solenoid was bad and let me have one off another crown victoria and that fixed the starter problem.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Had a brand new starter in the Chevelle. First time I turned the key, it just kept crankin'. (I can relate to your situation bulb 122 :eek: ) The switch was off and the key was out of the ignition but it was still cranking. Long story short, turned out a wire was broken in the solenoid and it was shorting out on the solenoid casing, causing the constant crank. A second starter fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything that I'm hearing here seems to indicate that I'll be pulling and bench testing the starter on Saturday. I'll let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up-
took the starter to a very reputable shop here in Butler,
Did the once-over on the starter motor and installed a new solenoid.........$45.00, guaranteed for life........
Starts like a champ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts