Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys probably know this off by heart, but it's been 20+years since I had my 71.
I'm currently getting my '72 ready to fire by my 50th in a few weeks, and sort of messed up on the starter wiring. Formerly points car, now HEI (by the former owner). There are 4 wires in the starter harness, one of which was previously cut off. There are 3 left, one heavy gauge, one narrower, and the thin one. I know the heavy gauge goes to the post with the bat. cable because of the size of the terminal. The two that are left are not as heavy a gauge, one which is medium gauge, one lighter yet. The solenoid has an "S" and and "R" marked on the posts. Can any of you advise on how these wires should be mounted?
On a related topic, would you recommend sheathing the harness in an asbestos webbed tube or similar product like that which is used on some EGR tubes to keep the heat away from the wires. I'm using the factory iron manifolds.
Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the purple wire (heavier gauge)goes to "s"
the yellow wire (this one may have been cut it is not needed for hei)goes to "i"
the large cable is to the batt
the other wire (i'm only guessing)is black with a purple stripe and also has large connector should go to the large stud
with iron manifolds the original tube about 3 inches long that bolts to the back of engine on the second tranny bolt should be fine
just rewrap tour wires to keep them nice in appearance

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom
I've identified the wire colors that you've mentioned in your response. It appears that on my car the wire that is cut is the black one. The yellow and purple both have the smaller ends, and the large red one goes to the battery post on the solenoid. My solenoid has an "s" and an "r" on it. So red goes to the battery, purple to the "s", would it be safe to assume the black will go to the "r"?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
yellow goes to the "r"
i'm not sure where this black one goes
but i think the black one should have a purple stripe and it is some sort of hot lead for something
please verify that and i will research it while i'm waiting

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
tohn are you sure
this qustion has com up many times throughout the years
then finding another problem
always stopped short of figuring this one out
what is this link powering

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
In 72 Chevy changed the way power was routed to the fuseblock.
In prior years power was routed from the battery, into a terminal block, to a horn relay next to the radiator, and up the forward lamp harness to the bulkhead connector.
On the 72 there is no extra or pigtailed lead off the positive cable. There is only the large lead to the solenoid. There is another wire attached on the solenoid B+ terminal. The first 6 or so inches of this lead is a fusible link. This is the main link and protects everything in the car. Attached to this link is a large red wire that runs up to a unique horn relay mounted next to the brake booster. This particular horn relay was only used in certain GM models during 72 and 73 only and is not reproduced.
Anyway, also attached to the stud on the horn relay is the lead into the fuseblock. The 72 uses a wire out of the engine harness to power the fuseblock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts