Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up a new engine in my 65 today but encountered a problem with the wiring to the solenoid. Original wiring has 1 that went to the solenoid that is common with the + from the coil. The other wire(purple) which is the wire from the ignition switch. All worked fine last year with the 350. Anyways I now have a mini starter for the 400 so I was only going to use the purple from the ignition to the solenoid. My problem is that wire now has power when the ignition is in the on position same as the other wire. Is there some where in the system that could go faulty and provide power to the purple wire? I checked the ignition switch out and it is fine.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Did you mini starter have provisions for the "R" terminal? Most do not. Did you put both wires on the start terminal?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Steve S:
Did you mini starter have provisions for the "R" terminal? Most do not. Did you put both wires on the start terminal?
The problem is the purple wire, which is the wire from the ignition switch is hot when the key is just in the on position. It should only be hot when the key is turned to the start position. Somewhere it is getting power after the ignition switch. I believe that wire runs direct from the ignition switch to the solenoid

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Jerry,

- What's the purple have on it when all wires (except the large battery cable) are disconnected from the solenoid and the key in the ON position?

- How many terminals on the mini-starter solenoid? Could you have the connections reversed? Some solenoids have an internal path to provide power to the coil lead (depending on the manuf.).

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Haven't heard of anything like you are describing.
I'd pull the purple wire back off the solenoid. Pull the large coil wire for safety so the car can't start. Measure the purple wire to ground as someone turns the key to START. The purple should not have power when the key is released.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Haven't heard of anything like you are describing.
I'd pull the purple wire back off the solenoid. Pull the large coil wire for safety so the car can't start. Measure the purple wire to ground as someone turns the key to START. The purple should not have power when the key is released.
John, Thats what I am saying. The purple does have power when the key is just in the run position.I can't figure out where it is getting power from. This wiring was fine when I took the engine out in the fall. I can make the starter work with just a wire from positive to the 1 terminal so its not the starter. Thats why I was asking if there was something in the system that could screw up and put power onto the purple when the key was only in the run position. I did meter out the ignition switch and it is ok.I guess it could be pinched somewhere with a hot wire but nothing has changed. One thing , I don't have my tranny linkage hooked up, is it possible the purple could pickup power from the neutral saftey switch?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have you tried to measure the wires on the NSS? Pull the connector off and measure each wire to ground. The connector has 2 purple wires on it.
The one from the ignition switch should go to 12 volts only when the key is turned to START and back to 0 volts in RUN. The other wire, which heads down to the solenoid, should have 0 volts on it.
This might lead to an answer.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried to measure the wires on the NSS? Pull the connector off and measure each wire to ground. The connector has 2 purple wires on it.
The one from the ignition switch should go to 12 volts only when the key is turned to START and back to 0 volts in RUN. The other wire, which heads down to the solenoid, should have 0 volts on it.
This might lead to an answer.
NSS?? You mean the ignition switch itself?
Thanks for the help John

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch. I assume an automatic transmission. Switch is located under the dash on the top of the steering column.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John I finally narrowed down the problem. If you meter out the ignition switch with no power applied it is fine. If you connect 12v to the battery terminal the solenoid terminal has power in the on and start position. There is another terminal labelled Ign-2. With power applied to the switch this terminal acts like it is the solenoid terminal.I have looked at my schematic and I think the ign-2 terminal would be for the accessories when the key is turned to the left. Am I confusing you yet lol. Anyways it appears something a little screwy inside the ignition switch. Are these repairable? It doesn't look like they were meant to be taken apart but it could be done. Have you ever disassembled one?

thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
So again, what occurs on the purple wire out of the switch? Were you able to access it off the NSS switch?
I can still get switches from the local auto parts store or from the restoration suppliers for sort of fair price. I don't mess with old ones.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did access the nss switch, It isn't the problem as it works fine. With the ignition switch removed and using a continuity tester the ign switch checks out fine. If I connect just a 12v + to the battery terminal on the ign switch and apply power the solenoid terminal then becomes hot with the key in the on position and start position even though when just using the continuity tester it works as it should. The solenoid terminal only has continuity when the key is in the start position. Where can I get a new ign switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't understand what you mean when you say "and apply power the solenoid terminal then becomes hot with the key in the on position".
What happens when you :
Hook up the ignition switch in the car with its connector installed.
Pull the connector off the NSS.
Measure each one of the purple wires while turning the key to START and back to RUN.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't understand what you mean when you say "and apply power the solenoid terminal then becomes hot with the key in the on position".
What happens when you :
Hook up the ignition switch in the car with its connector installed.
Pull the connector off the NSS.
Measure each one of the purple wires while turning the key to START and back to RUN.
John, if I connect the wiring plug onto the ign switch and pull the plug off the nss switch. With the key in the on position the purple from the ign switch is hot (12v) If I turn the key to start the same purple is still hot.The other purple on the nss coming from the solenoid is not hot in either situation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wish I knew how to Post a wiring diagram . the purple wire should only have voltage in the start pos. A lot of ign switches burn up when people ether hot wire the car or use remote start switches. they burn up the ign. sw & cause these problems I built a ign sw tester using 5 headlights so I could see what went on in what key position. out of 7 old ign sw I tried 3 were bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts