Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my engine into my 1968 chevelle. I have completed my external regulated alt to the one from my 1975 monte. I then turned to the starter. The wire that comes from the main battery on the starter to the dash area seems to be a 10 gauge. The wire that should go to the solonoid connection is about 14 gauge. when I try to start the car it is dead in the run position, but it gets all power in the start position. The starter does not crank. I think the wires may be switched under the dash, but does anyone have another idea? Also I changed over to a mid 70's HEI. The wire fron the dist. looks about 12 guage, but a thin wire that fed the old coil looks smaller. Doeas anyone know how many amps to run an hei or how heavy a line do I need to run to the distributor?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The + battery to starter is a 6 gauge cable. The wire running from the fuse block to the starter solenoid is a 12 gauge purple wire - you should have 12v on this wire when you turn the key to crank.

The original wire from the bulkhead connector to the distributor is a resistance wire and I believe it's only 20 gauge. If you're running an HEI, this wire should be replaced with a 12 gauge insulated wire (use pink for that factory look.)

There's also a Yellow wire that runs from the solenoid to the original distributor that provides a full 12v to the distributor when cranking - you don't need this wire with HEI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it is a resistance wire is that why it has a strange looking insulator? It seems to be white and thin......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elkie....should I just replace this wire at the bulkhead, or is there any replacement necessary under the dash? Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's why it looks strange - shoulde be cloth covered.

The slick way to replace the wire would be to remove the bulkhead connector so you can remove the origninal spade plug and crimp the new wire in. Here's a Link to Instructions. A shortcut would be to just run a wire from the fusebox in the car out through an existing hole in the firewall.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oops. I left my computer for awhile, I hit Back in my browser and it said page had expired. So I hit refresh, OK, and it reposted my last post. Learn something new everyday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts