Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm trying to finish my motor install on my Nova and came to a puzzling dilema. It seems the outter starter solonoid post wire has been cut on the Nova, so I went and traced my Chevelle's wire to find out where it led and it too is also cut. Which is WIERD because I can still run the engine without it connected. I am thinking the only thing this wire could have been for is the positive side of the coil for when it had a points system in it from the factory. Atleast thats what my assembly manual leads me to believe. Am I correct? Since I have HEI now I run my positive side coil directly to the fuse block. So if I'm right I don't need a wire at all on the outter starter solonoid post....Right??? Thanks for your advice

------------------
'70 Malibu
Engine Less (BB Bound!)
M-20 (2.56 1st)
10-Bolt 2.73 Open
------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.73 Open w/ Rally Suspension

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Steve!!

------------------
'70 Malibu
Engine Less (BB Bound!)
M-20 (2.56 1st)
10-Bolt 2.73 Open
------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.73 Open w/ Rally Suspension

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
The 'outer' Yellow wire supplies a full 12 volts to the + side of the coil while cranking. The Purple wire is the 'signal' wire that energizes the coil to pull in the solenoid. Most aftermarket ignitions and HEI don't require the Yellow wire to be there.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

1 - 4 of 4 Posts