Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 70 CHEVELLE , my motor harness
has a blue/purple strip wire that i hooked to the battery post on the starter, now there is also a orange,black/red strip wire and a yellow wire.well this what i did I hooker the yellow wire to the starter solenoid post the one closer to the motor block, now when i turn the key the motor fires right up ,but I can't turn it off with the key .I can turn thre key back to the off pois. and remove the key and it will still keep on running. I have no clue what wires to hook up this is my first wiring job on a chevelle ,
Here is some more info that might help its a 454
the light harness is not hooked up yet
I changed the point distrb. to a HEI and i'm running the pink wire off the HEI to the battery

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No as far as i can see it looks stock,i will take pics so that you can see what my harness looks like thank for the reply ,I hope I can get this
fixed ,its the only thing thats holding me be back from the painters .

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If the pink HEI wire is hooked to the battery won't it be hot all the time? That would be why the engine won't turn off...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THAT MAYBE :confused: I have pics of the harness
please email me and i will send them out
this way you can see what colors i have to work with,

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Try taking the pink wire and connecting it to the IGN post on your fuse block.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would this look like? is there a color or is there some writing on it. by the way the motor harness is the only harness hooked up right now , I found the purple wire that go's to the starter solinoid what happened was the wrie near the end faded to a blue purple , I removed the wrap and that it is purple. now with this done I don't see how power gets from the battery to the harness so that the starter can kick over with the key ??

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Need more help here that I can't supply. I don't know what is in each harness (engine, dash, A/C, etc.) so I can't answer how everything hooks up. If your pink wire to the HEI is directly connected to the battery, then it's hot all the time and you'll always have spark available. Your yellow wire is a full 12V line that goes to the coil on a points system for starting (hot when cranking the engine) but is not needed for HEI. Since you have this one (even if you're not using it), then there should be a resistor wire that provides about 7V while the key is on that would go to the coil. You won't use this one either on the HEI.

I just ran a wire through the firewall from the IGN post on the fuse block (on the floor, should be labelled, along with a BAT and maybe an ACC post) to the BAT side of the HEI...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Power runs in the other harness, the lamp harness. There's a large red wire that ties to the horn relay. This red wire goes to the fuseblock and then to the ignition switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts