Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter will not shut off, only way it stops is when you disconnect battery...car has been in the body shop for a couple of months...has started OK everything until this week...the week I bring my baby home

The starter was able to turn over the motor but the body shop guys heard a werid sound - turned off the key and starter kept on going..so they disconnected the battery cable ...the starter toast?

Tony

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's one of two problems. The ignition switch that provides a signal to the "s" terminal and engages the solenoid is internally shorting to 12volts and keeps the signal there all the time, or the signal disappears and the solenoid is not disengaging because it's getting hung up on the ring gear or defective and keeping the starter spinning.

Check the ignition switch first, but my guess is that the solenoid went Tango Uniform and ruined the starter.

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Engineering & Marketing Technologies
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If it is an automatic:
Before you start it next time, wiggle the neutral safety start switch connector a little so it isn't super stuck on the switch. Be sure the car is in park and the e-brake on. Start the car and pull off the NSS connector. (It's the one with the 2 purples on it).
If the starter still runs, not the ignition switch. Me? I always change both the starter and solenoid. I'm down there anyway.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Good post Steve. I didn't see your response 'cause sometimes I type off-line and enter them in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts