Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 396 has always acted pretty good, but lately it will not start when the engine is warm!! The started won't even crank over or anything!!! I have heard about this problem, and am curious what the simplest sollution is. Someone mentioned I can get a shield mounted between the headers and the starter.. Will this fix my problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had this problem with my 327. You can try a heat shield to see if that will do it. Sometimes those work, sometimes they dont. I have had some friends in the past that have had to buy one of those high torque mini starters to solve the problem. Keep one thing in mind though. Once your starter is affected by heat, it will progressively get worse and worse. Depending on how far gone yours is, even if you buy a heat shield, you may have to get another starter as well. I hope this helps you out. Good luck with it!

----Jerry----

·
Read Only
589 Posts
One overlooked item that I've found is the size(diameter) of the battery cables. The factory cables always seem(at least to me) to be thicker diameter than aftermarket replacements. Also, I once found a bad battery + cable that looked good on the outside but had almost corroded in half on the inside.
Tino #28

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
A word of experience on starters, go with an AC Delco (better warranty also), stay away from the auto parts store bebuilts. I and many others have had big problems in the past with the cheap remanufactured generic starters, they don't last, if they even work at all. They will use one part number for as many applications as will possibly fit, no matter if its the right one or not. I know one guy who went through 3 starters in 3 months on his Cavalier V6, every damn time the same store would give him a another starter without a arguement. I told him buy AC Delco, noo cost to much. Finally the 3rd time he was convinced to pay a few more $$ and get an AC Delco. To this day, every so often he will tell me, starter still going, its been over a year. A local Chevy dealer is a block from 2 major parts suppliers and they won't put anything in but them, if the customer does not want AC Delco then go somewhere else. The parts guy (friend) told me they had so many comebacks that the were losing money like crazy, not to mention customers. He discounts the AC Delco just so they don't have all the comebacks. btw-He can buy the AC Delco starters (and other AC parts)from a independent AC jobber warehouse and sell them for less then he can get the same part thru GM parts. So find a AC Delco dealer and save over the Chevy parts counter.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 07-10-99).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Michael,
It will get worse because the heat ruins the integrity of the starter. I have had situations where it ruined the solenoid and also where it ruined the motor itself over time. Has anyone else had this problem?

----Jerry----

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Elcamino,
I couldn't have said it better myself. It seems like it doesn't matter if its a large chain of stores or a single store. And it doesn't just apply to starters!
Jerry,
I've seen it too with my buddys dads 455 Olds. We went back and forth until we changed them both at the same time

Tino #28 Gold

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ryankey, you may want to check the following items as a possible solution to your heat soak problem (assuming that the starter itself is not the culprit):

1. What condition are the battery cables in (for both + and -). If it is original equipment stuff, replace it.

2. Are the battery terminals in bad shape and do you have a GOOD, SOLID ground?

3. Is the battery taking on a full charge and is the alternator providing that full charge?

3. If the above check out okay, then I would consider using a remote starter silinoid kit. They are easy to install and they don't even have to be purchased as a F%&D product - aftermarket companies make em'.

4. You may also want to place an aluminized thermal blanket (made by Thermotech) around your starter. Summit and Jeg's sell these in kits that fit a single starter and they offer the very best protection against exhaust hedder heat soak. Some may disagree, but I think they do a better job at heat protection than a 'typical' heat shield.

5. Check your ignition's total timing. If it is too advanced (you'd be surprised what 2 extra degrees will do to your starter), it will be much harder for that rat to crank over - even when it's barely warm.

These are just some ideas for you to consider. I do hope that you find that starter gremlin though - been there and done that, more than once!
Good luck!

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ah yes Heat soak again,
Lots of us have gone through this, many different solutions to use.
Here's my 0.02
I burnt through a two cheap starters with no heat sheild, tried the accell soleniod, no help. Used the moroso heat sheild, the cheap starter lasted over 5 years. My bat cables shorted out somehow 4 months ago. Went nuts trying to track that down. Using auto zone starter, and new bat cables. Replaced power feed and starter switch cable, got heat sheild tubing to run those cables through, (Summit) also the pos cable for a short bit. Now starts great even when during our east coast heat wave the last few weeks. With the heat sheild it is a real pain to reconnect the wires to the starter, watch out for the pos cable touching the sheild, have to angle it some. Pretty sparks.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's likely not the starter motor its self but rather the solenoid. Remember high school phyics class, what happens when you heat up a magnet? Harley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.