Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was changing my pos. batt. cable and when I loosened the nut it seemed to have som play in it. That was bad sign but i thought to myself "eh, what can ya do...". putting the nw one on, the bolt popped and now freely spins, but my nut is tight enough on there that it wont come off. I am changing to a mini high torque starter in the near future, so should i leave it for now or will this cause big problems? Gracias in advance.
Russ

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 2dr Ht,
'69 8.2" Powertrax rear
'72 402ci Rat
'74 454 heads
All drums; they're not so bad...
...nice first car, huh?
well, it will be as soon as I spruce it up!

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Russ,

The one thing I'd be concerned about is the fact that the battery terminal carries a LOT of current during starting. If the post is loose the internal connection may be damaged or not up-to-par (resulting in resistance that shouldn't be there). With a lot of current going thru it, it could get VERY hot quickly.

Maybe a safe bet to install that mini starter. (just being safety minded here unless someone else chimes in with other info).

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
I've spun a post on a solenoid before. I'm not sure how the internals of the solenoid are settup, physically.

I'm sure it is so that the bolt/studs for the posts have a flat surface on teh back end that the ACtuator contacts too, much like the solenoid on a GM starter.

If this is true, then spinning said post will not affect contact or continuity once energized.

-what was the question again.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Oh sure, be like that mike!

Actually I figured just as much, but since I've never actually seen the insides of a starter solenoid bolt connection arrangement, a wanted to be on the safe side.

BTW Mike, you and Lev will have to have a beer in my honor at CB '02 as I'm once again unable to attend

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 05-14-2002).]

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
BTW Mike, you and Lev will have to have a beer in my honor at CB '02 as I'm once again unable to attend

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 05-14-2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn you Joe. Can't you hitch a ride with one of the other huskers? You can crash in my hotel room. I'll by your food, lev will buy your beer. If you decide to ever come to a show you wont regret it! good times man, good times.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spanks a lot guys, I guess I'll keep on truckin' until I get that new starter. anyone have suggestions for a good/cheap brand that I could get? I remeber someone suggesting a $90 one out of some catalog, but I couldn't find the post..

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
you don't need one.

I have a Autozone special piece. It with a 900CCA Battery and I don't have problems int he worst of heat soak conditions.

I did buy a mini starter once. then I dropped it and broke the above mentioned post of it's solenoid.
That, joe, is how I know what one looks like!

------------------

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I love AutoZone... best prices, the guys usually know what they are talking about, they always seem to have everything I need, and they carry good brands. I wish I lived in an AutoZone.

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 2dr Ht,
'69 8.2" Powertrax rear
'72 402ci Rat
'74 454 heads
All drums; they're not so bad...
...nice first car, huh?
well, it will be as soon as I spruce it up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts