Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to choose between two different solenoid heat shields and need comments/answers.
1) I have a shield that is a closed cylinder except for about 1/5 open. There are two tabs w/holes for attaching to the screws on the end of the solenoid. My concern is how well that this will clear the 2 wires on top of the solenoid and the retainer for the wires?
2) "Year one" sells a type, for small blocks, that has one mounting tab on each end. One is slotted and the other has a closed hole.Can somebody clarify how this type attaches? Also, how well does this type clear the wires and wire retainer?

Which of the above types is the better?

·
Registered
461 Posts
57Starchief, I'm no electrical genius, but will hit the hilites on what problems I had. Slow cranking when hot as in shut down for just a few minutes while in the 7-11 for a six pack. Cleaned all connections from the battery to starter and a 2 guage ground cable from the battery to the block. Grounds I believe are the key to many electrical problems. No need to use a heat shield unless you have no clearance between exhaust and solenoid, except on very high compression engines.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Greg is right. Heat soak is over-rated even with big headers. A poor ground can cause big problems. Make sure the chassi, frame , and engine are all connected with good ground straps.

[This message has been edited by BAD415 (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
#1 stock type and should work fine GM designed it nuff said, as for your prob have u checked your voltage readings when this happens? how about your alternator? if battery is marginal it doesnt help I just had same prob with mine and first cold morning no soap charged battery etc., bad battery new battery fine went to movie previously same prob as yours so eyeball batt my 2 cents worth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
My ground cable is original except with a "clamp on" terminal at the battery and a Ground Disconnector Switch, which is also "clamped on". I am going to replace those with an ACDelco ground cable, 4 gauge.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I had a "sit and have a 12-pack" or call AAA for a jump problem with my '71. I thought it was a heat-soak problem. I put a Moroso aluminum heat shield..didn't help. Ok. Went and bought a AC Delco starter..didn't help. Damn
. Got a 1000ca/850cca Delco battery. Nope, still wouldn't start after getting hot. Since I already had ground straps there was only one link left...cables. The Delco wholesaler I bought all these Delco parts from custom fabbed some battery cables out of 1/0 guage wire (this is some BIG cable). Hooked me up for $12 and I haven't had a problem since. It was my battery cables the whole time. One or both were corroded and being only 8 guage didn't help. Get some 1/0 guage wire and you'll be golden for years to come

------------------
1971 Chevelle (258rwhp @4900/[email protected])
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Registered
42 Posts
tried the heat shield deal, what a joke, did not help at all, just heated that up too.....got smart and bought a tilton, money well spent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.