Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm lost,:sad: or mabe just a bad day,

I have a 350 with an hei I'm installing in a 70 and having trouble getting the starter to start I hooked the wires up like they were when I pulled the 307. I still cant figure this out. I'm using the starter that came with the truck which is an 85 silverado.

There are only 3 wires:confused:
lite purple
yellow
thin black wire

how hard can this be

I'm not using a points type setup I'm using a hei any help please..................:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
With an HEI you need 2 wires to the starter. The purple should go to 'S' terminal on starter. That's the one that actually engages the starter. The yellow wire would have gone from 'R' terminal to ignition coil, not needed with HEI. Black wire? I have no idea what the thin black wire would be be for. You also need the main positive cable from the battery to the starter. You didn't mention that one, think it's kinda important. It obviously goes to the 'big' post on the solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any other suggestions i hooked the purple wire to the s on the starter and nothing. If I jump it with a pair of pliers it will start.

I have no power to the fuse block do you think that may have somthing to do with my problem.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I have no power to the fuse block do you think that may have somthing to do with my problem.
I sure do. You need 12v to the fuse block, through the neutral safety switch and ignition switch to the starter to start the engine. There is or should be a fusible link off the battery to the junction block mounted on the radiator support. Another fusible link between the horn relay and fuse block. Use a test meter or test light and see where you have power and where you don't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts