Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,a couple questions on BBC high torque starter.

1 ) I know that the long spacer inbetween the solenoid and housing leg attachment indicates a high torque starter but what is the difference inside that can been seen when disassembled?

Is the the armature on the H/Trq starter larger or more heavy duty and if yes how do i
identify it?

I ask this because i was told rebuilders often install std duty amatures in high tq
starters renducing them to a std starter low torque output even though they look to ba a H/tq unit from the outside.

2) Is there a difference in the magnets in the starter case on the H/Tq starter?

3) I assume it also uses the heavy duty heat resistant solenoid and H/D spring,how would i
identify these items?

4) lastly,what should be a normal starter draw in amps for a H/TQ starter on a BBC starting a hot/warm 9:8:1 comp motor (per machinest)without a large cam and high static cranking compression with approx 210-220 PSI comp test readings? I had a feeling i should have gone with a little more cam to bleed off more cyl pressure/compression. Cam is comp hyd 222/226 @.05,.525/.525,112 L/S,1600-5600 max rpm. I only have 14oo miles on the motor but luckily it does not detonate yet. But N.Y. went to the new alcohol based fuels on jan 1/04 so we will have to wait and seeif that detonates this summer.

Thanks....Scott

·
Registered
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt Anybody ahve any info on this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's probably best not to buy one of the high torque starters from a parts warehouse like autozone, or off ebay. They're just crap. I found a local alternator/starter shop owner who's put his starters on BBC's before and had great results. The older the mechanic, the better. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts